Ringed Tailed Lemur + Squirrel Monkey

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Whilst down in Hants. recently we thought we'd take a look at Monkey World as it's a rescue facility. The despair I felt at how most of them came to be there ( we attended the talks at various sections) was tempered by the fact they had been rescued from appalling conditions .One staff member told us this story about capuchins. Seems the lab in Chile called MW and said they had these 88 capuchins and the agreement was to take them in two lots. Then, a few days later they had another call saying they had to all go in one removal as the lab staff were being threatened with their lives by the animal rights people . Everything seems to be more violent in these countries. So..the staff called a meeting at midnight. They had photos of each and everyone of the capuchins. The idea was mooted to take the females and youngsters and make up the rest that,they could realistically take, with males. The rest would be euthanised. It was quickly decided that that was not an option so all 88 were flown here. they rapidly built more facilities to house them all.http://www.monkeyworld.org/news/162...zens-of-capuchin-monkeys-from-chilean-lab.htm

http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/kids/species-profiles/capuchin-monkey

We were told about other rescues here in the UK regarding primates rescued from the pet trade. I was unaware of this but the likes of marmosets,squirrel monkeys, capuchins, which are very popular as pets here in the uk..have claws less than 1" long so they cannot cause death to people unless they happen to hit an artery so they are not covered by the Dangerous Animals Act. One poor soul was rescued from a cage in a pub !!. There is intense lobbying of the government to get this appalling trade in the UK stopped. People have these creatures in cages in their apartments..a capuchin was discovered in a 7th. floor apartment in Hackney and had deformed limbs because it never saw the light of day which is vital for them..the sun..vitamin D.

http://www.captiveanimals.org/news/...e-because-your-house-will-never-be-their-home
http://www.monkeyworld.org/welfare-4-wildlife

Anyway..here are my photos. It was too difficult to get shots of the others as they were in enclosures with wire meshing between them and the public.

Ringed Tailed Lemur. Indigenous only in Madagascar and a few small surrounding islands.
30blhza.jpg

27wvx34.jpg

21mdedz.jpg

2v83d3k.jpg

2qupye1.jpg

Squirrel Monkey
2j5ih36.jpg

Last edited:
Lemurs are great little guys.. number 4 is my favourite here. Monkey World does excellent work, and should be supported more!

I love the one of the lemur sitting!

my parents friends run a exotic botanical business so have been all over the place doing their research and wot not. When they went to madagascar, they got very close to some lemurs as they seemed obsessed with nicking their jammie dodgers! (prob not the best diet!)

Such a shame where most of these guys have come from. I have mixed feelings about zoos and animals in captivity these days - but its places like this which do good work in terms of rescuing which need the support to save them from these horrid lives as 'pets'

Thanks both.

Ian...We were so impressed with the work they do we are now including them in our will.

Dan..Yes...a great pose..the one sitting. Looks totally relaxed too. Your parent's friends have an interesting business and that must have been a great experience and I think you're right..jammy dodgers aren't good for them...nor us..lol. I'll google them re. Madagascar. I voiced the same sentiment as yourself re. zoos and captivity in the tiger thread but we have to accept it's somtimes necessary. This damnable UK ..Europe-wide really, exotic pet trade has to be stopped. There's a group,whose name eludes me..that are fighting against any banning legislation. They are the sellers of them of course. If you google 'capuchins for sale Uk' you'll see what it's all about. It was an eye opener for me. One witty person posted on a forum that was about buying them..' does anyone know where can get a human, I want to keep one in a cage in my flat"

Last edited:
Oh I LOVE the Lemur emerging from the pipe!

Back