Ringflash adapter

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Been registered for ever, but never been brave enough to post.

I've been using a ringflash adapter for my macro shots this year, and have been really pleased with the difference it's made.

Here's a couple of recent shots, using the Coco

slowly, surely they drew their plans against us…. by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

om nom nom……. by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

Question is, what's the next step up in terms of ring flash? is there a step to take between the £50 Coco, and getting the proper twin head MT24 flash? The Coco is great, but not really designed for my flash (430 EX), so I've had to improvise a bit to keep it solid on the lens and flashhead.

The Orbis looks lovely but I'd need a separate bracket to hold it around the lens I believe?

Thats really nice results, impressive for an adaptor,

I purchased one of the £100 Tumax Ring Flash Macro units and the results are nice, if you are looking to step up from the adaptor they would be worth looking at

Its a normal Hotshoe mounted flash with a Ring Flash that plugs in the side (Proper Ring Flash) not one of these LED things. and I would really recommend them

Liek the one below, Got mine over a year ago but the whole kit was about £100

http://www.icorpandtumax.com/DMF880.html

Last edited:
hi dejon, there are guides in the forums, look to the bottom of the page
how these are done, is upload to flickr.com and then 'share' them..the code can be cut and pasted into the forum reply box :)

on topic: interested in this myself as I'd like a cheap ring flash option.
do you have details of what you're using?
would you go with the canon ring flash or the macro options?
the other way would be to have a twin flash stand (+ diffusers) and remotely trigger them
or is that not practical?
(2nd YN flash, 100 quid, YN ST-E2 £70)

p.s welcome to the forums, nice photos :)

on topic: interested in this myself as I'd like a cheap ring flash option.
do you have details of what you're using?
would you go with the canon ring flash or the macro options?
the other way would be to have a twin flash stand (+ diffusers) and remotely trigger them
or is that not practical?
(2nd YN flash, 100 quid, YN ST-E2 £70)

p.s welcome to the forums, nice photos :)

Cheers. I'm using the Coco ringflash adapter. Got mine on Ebay. Not really designed to fit the 430 Ex flash, so I've had to use some rubber foam stuff to make it snug. Did the same with a ring of foam rubber to secure the flash around the lens, as it can shift a bit if you shoot in portrait at all.

Worked quite well, but it is difficult to see how to diffuse the light, certainly harder than with a twin flash set up.

You do end up with this kind of effect with shiny surfaces or eyes.

"go on, just a peck….." by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

Vicky : (y) Like the look of that Tumax. I'll check it out.

Back