RIP Lexar memory cards

I recently bought a 128GB CF and SD combo for my 5DmkIV. Almost went for Lexar over Sandisk as it was about £10 cheaper for the Lexar. However, chickened out and bought Sandisk purely because I've had loads of them over the years and I've only retired them for larger or faster ones, not because they have failed.

Shame about the loss of competition in the sector.

They had the cheapest SDXC II cards when I bought them. Now it's Sandisk all the way I guess.

What a shame. I've been using them since I had a D70. Currently using their card reader and decently priced fast CF cards in the D800. I wonder if we'll see a price hike from Sandisk with less competition at the high end?

Sad to read. I've been using Lexar for quite a while since having issues with a Sandisk card.

Guess I better stock up quickly! :(

Note the last line in the linked article :

" There may still be a chance that the Lexar brand — and Lexar branded memory cards — are brought back from the dead: Micron says it’s “exploring opportunities to sell all or part of the Lexar business,” and our source tells us that there are already prospective buyers interested in making a deal. "

Very surprising and sad news when a market leader disappears, especially when it is not a company going bust.

Lexar innovated and pushed the technology, and afaik, have the fastest SD and XQD cards. Glad I got one of each for the D500.

Lexar and Sandisk seemed to push each other. Is there anyone who can push Sandisk the same way? This seems to leave Sandisk as the only 'go to' brand. Hope they keep pushing themselves, but no competition may have an adverse effect on prices and innovation.

Doesn't look good for the future of the XQD format too. Only Sony now producing cards atm, and they don't seem too keen to push the format and use them in their own consumer products. Weird as they invented the format with Nikon and Sandisk. Maybe Sandisk will now start producing them, though what prices they would charge is anybody's guess. And would they be as fast as the Lexar XQD cards! :-/

Last edited:
Ouch! They are my favoured brand too. Better see if I can snag one or two before they are all gone.

Not surprising really, in the war to be ubiquitous they eroded margins to an unsustainable point and have paid the price.

I think Transcend will probably take the mantel of main Sandisk competitor, similar offer of high spec cards at a cheaper price and they now offer a good warranty (and I've had more Lexar cards go wrong than Transcend). And, now they offer this their prices are rising more in line with the established premium brands.

Shame to hear. I've recently started using Lexar cards. Seemed to offer good speed/£ and faired well in real world tests.

With a bit of luck Microsoft or Google will buy them,what more could you ask for :eek:

With a bit of luck Microsoft or Google will buy them,what more could you ask for :eek:
I think Google NIK'd something before and then let it drop! :(

Apple are interested in them, they will be the thinest cards out there, over priced and they will ensure no one can get the data off them.
Not to mention having a unique connector that only fits Apple equipment.

Apple are interested in them, they will be the thinest cards out there, over priced and they will ensure no one can get the data off them.

All I've ever wanted is a space grey and rose gold set of cards, in a few years time maybe a product red version just to be innovative

Back