Riverside portraits - C&C please

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys.
First post :)

Im fairly new to photography as an art form so here goes!.

I have found my new 90mm lens more useful for portraits than macro at the moment, ( light! )so here are the results

C&C are very welcome :)

Rick.

laura800xg0.jpg

or

laurabw800ii1.jpg

lauraface800bwvz4.jpg

lauratoungebwia9.jpg

lauraandmontybw800hr0.jpg

imgp1229copyez1.jpg

Pentax K100D, tamron 90mm macro di 2.8, PP in photoshop - mono conversion, cropping and a tiny bit of sharpening.

:eek: Fairly new?!? Hope I still know you when you are experienced then! :LOL:

I admit, portraits are not my 'thang', but they look pretty darn good to me! Th eonly one I am not sure about is the second one, looks a bit on the dark side, and #4 could possibly have done with some sort of reflector to put some more light into her eyes under the peak of the cap. But hell, if thats your starting point, look slike you are heading in the right direction to me :clap::clap:

1 is nicely exposed
3 and 4 are amazing! great expressions
5 looks a bit soft though

Very well done

Welcome to the forums :D and what a great set of photos to start with :)

I am in no means a portrait expert or even that keen on them, but as you asked for C&C, here are my opinions: (I have no idea why I am writting so formally)

1 (and 2) look a tad soft to me and I am not loving the pose, doesn't look quite as relaxed as the other shots.

3 & 4 I love :) very different shots but both done excellently in my opinion. I might have been tempted to have a slightly different background on number 4, however. Like the small depth of field (especially on number 3, though maybe it is slightly too narrow, her right eye looks slightly out of focus)

5 If the soft toy hadn't been there and the focus had been on her eyes I think this would have been my favourite of the set. Great post and eye contact and lighting looks great, good mono converstion etc

6 Doesnt do a lot for me :( the writting on the wall distracts me slightly and I dont know why but it doesnt look as spontaneous as some of the others.

Great set though and can't wait to see some more :)

Hmmm...seen these somewhere recently, think a few more of TP's members may have too.:D
Welcome Rick!

These are an excellent start, have to agree with the others, 3 and 4 are my faves.(y)

Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcome.
These shots did take alot of persistance as girlfriends really dont like getting their pics taken !

i took alot of shots, most were bad, she was either shouting at me telling me to stop taking pics or pulling some kinda silly face. but i found the best time to snap was just before these little out bursts.

Number4:
seems to be be the favourite. This was taken in the tent, i was winding her up for ages - messing about, just general banter. i think i said something nasty to her ( in a nice way of course ) and that expression was her reaction. it is an expression of shock more than anything. i think the next words she said were ''Right thats it... im gonna get you back for that "

Number 1,2 and 5
These are acctually my favourites. i wish that #5 was better on the technical side of things, if i remember correctly it was a cold night in the tent and the light was fading fast.

im not sure what has happened to number 1 since posting it here, it doesnt look like that when i view the image on its own on my PC. there seems to be a piece that has 'slid' ( ?? ) to the right near her lips, and other stuff which just doesnt look the same. i may have to re-host this or something.

Welcome to the forums :D and what a great set of photos to start with :)

6 Doesnt do a lot for me :( the writting on the wall distracts me slightly and I dont know why but it doesnt look as spontaneous as some of the others.

Great set though and can't wait to see some more :)

Number 6:
i aggree on this one. when i loaded photoshop, the first thing i tried to do was blur or do somethign with the back ground. i have had my camera for 3 weeks and this was taken in the first week with the kit lens ( as far as i can remember)
i think its one of those shots i though was 'good at the time'

i have one more shot similar to number #3 also :)

thanks again,
Rick

p.s how are the crops for you guys... its the one area i dont feel comfortable with

wow what a great first set. I really like #3 - perhaps just a teeny bit more space under her chin. #4 is very good as well, great expression. #5 would have been better had the toy not been in the shot and not so soft.

But they're all very good and I look forward to seeing some more (y)

Back