RJ45 ethernet connections

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I am currently putting together a CCTV system with a POE NVR but I am so confused over the two protocols for wiring my cables. I've already done one and it works fine and I used the 568B standard. I know that if the connections are the same at both ends all the wires could be the same colour (if a little inconvenient) and it would still work but what is the definitive configuration for a home CCTV network. One site I looked at said:

"T568A is generally seen as the superior configuration as it offers wider backwards compatibility than other wiring schemes. However, T568B is more common, particularly in slightly older cables and equipment."

Not very helpful, and this seems to be the general form of information supplied everywhere; it's like no one wants to commit. Does it matter at all which configuration I use, no matter what I subsequently use a cable for in the future?

Last edited:
If you haven't already got one of these, get one.

They come in many varieties and only cost a few pounds from Amazon or such like. Just plug the cable in at both ends and switch on. If all the lights match up, you know the wires are in the correct places and the circuit is unbroken...

Network cable wiring tester Ixus 70 IMG_4424.jpg

If you haven't already got one of these, get one.

They come in many varieties and only cost a few pounds from Amazon or such like. Just plug the cable in at both ends and switch on. If all the lights match up, you know the wires are in the correct places and the circuit is unbroken...

View attachment 406368

Yes, I got one with the wiring kit I bought from Amazon, have used it already. I decided on 568B but only so I can remember the pinouts easily.

As long as it wired. if both sides are A or B type is a on to one eg. Pin 1 to pin 1 etc. Usually for a router . If one side is A and the other is B then it’s a crossover. You don’t have to follow any standard (but it’s recommended) as long as canle is the correct configuration

Last edited:
Back