Roach End Barn (HDR Warning!)

Name
Daran
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I managed to get out after work last week when the evenings were nice and not raining like now! anyway, these are the best of the images that i managed to take.

I had to do them in HDR when I got home as I was shooting into the sun and the exposeures were not the best.

I would appreciate your comments on both the images and techniques on how to get a good image when shooting into the sun

Thanks for looking

Daran

No 1
Roach_End_Barn_1.jpg

No 2
Roach_End_Barn_2.jpg

No 3
Roach_End_Barn_3.jpg

No 4
Roach_End_Barn_4.jpg

Good to see you've avoided the temptation of most HDR users to completely overcook it into a revolting mess!

I think 2 and 3 are the pick of the bunch as they feel warmer thanks to the nice light you had, and I like the composition of 2 with the trees framing the barn. I'd be tempted to burn in the grass a little bit as it's too light to my way of thinking.

I agree with above i have been over cooking mine i think you got it just right
good set (y)

As most of the above

2 for composition (though I'd have preferred not to have had the right most tree cut off at the edge)

3 for light.

Good to see you've avoided the temptation of most HDR users to completely overcook it into a revolting mess!

I think 2 and 3 are the pick of the bunch as they feel warmer thanks to the nice light you had, and I like the composition of 2 with the trees framing the barn. I'd be tempted to burn in the grass a little bit as it's too light to my way of thinking.

Thank you for commenting. I will have a tweek at burning the grass a touch to see what it looks like

I agree with above i have been over cooking mine i think you got it just right
good set (y)

Thank you

i like no.2, good composition for some reason 1 just seems too busy with the trees, clouds and sunlight then the trees straying onto the house as well its just seems a bit hectic compared to the peaceful no2 :)

Thank you. I too like No 2 the most but it was not the sharpest (See Below )

f/22,
f/5.6
f/22
f/22
Why?

F5.6 was because I was getting so frustrated with the exposures that I had already taken, I decided to put it on Auto to at least try and get something. I assume f22 was ok or were you questioning that aswell? If I should have done things differently then please let me know

These are a really nice set and not overdone. I'm not so keen on #4 - I feel the grass is a bit too green but #2 really stands out as a well composed image. Well done.

I think f/22 is a bit small, you don't really need the DOF it offers because the background is miles away and hazy anyway. It is more likely to have softened the main subject (the house) due to diffraction, so I'd use f/8 or f/11 instead.
The composition in no.3 catches my eye, it has good colour saturation and the suggestion of a nice sunset (highlighting the bumps in the grass).

HDR has it's place. Even if over done to exaggerate an effect or just minimal, No 3 for me.

I'd try to avoid f22 ... I had assumed the softness was just because you hadn't sharpened the reduced-size pics for forum posting ... now I'm not so sure.
My favourite is Number 2 : if the full-size pic isn't too blurred.
I think you've found a great spot with the ruin and the two trees, keep at 'em!

Nice shots. Shows what can really be done with HDR. Looks a lot more inviting than the last time I saw it, which was very early one morning some years ago when we had to extricate a lad with severe head injuries from inside and get him back to the road and an ambulance, having spent all night searching for him all over the moors.

I think f/22 is a bit small, you don't really need the DOF it offers because the background is miles away and hazy anyway. It is more likely to have softened the main subject (the house) due to diffraction, so I'd use f/8 or f/11 instead.
The composition in no.3 catches my eye, it has good colour saturation and the suggestion of a nice sunset (highlighting the bumps in the grass).

Thanks for the advice THT, its appreciated. I will give it a go the next I get up there and hopefully the evening sun will be as good?

HDR has it's place. Even if over done to exaggerate an effect or just minimal, No 3 for me.

Thanks Katbo

I'd try to avoid f22 ... I had assumed the softness was just because you hadn't sharpened the reduced-size pics for forum posting ... now I'm not so sure.
My favourite is Number 2 : if the full-size pic isn't too blurred.
I think you've found a great spot with the ruin and the two trees, keep at 'em!

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately No 2 is the most bluriest one!!!

Nice shots. Shows what can really be done with HDR. Looks a lot more inviting than the last time I saw it, which was very early one morning some years ago when we had to extricate a lad with severe head injuries from inside and get him back to the road and an ambulance, having spent all night searching for him all over the moors.

Thank you. Mmm, glad I was there under better circumstances

These are a really nice set and not overdone. I'm not so keen on #4 - I feel the grass is a bit too green but #2 really stands out as a well composed image. Well done.

Thank you

Back