Road Trip around Northern Irish Coast - Game of Thrones themed

Name
Melissa
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys.

Yesterday I took a trip around the North Coast with a few friends, seeking out a few Game of Thrones filming destinations. We visited The Cushendun Caves, Murlough Bay and Ballintoy Harbour.

I shot these pictures with my Sony A7ii, loaded with the Sony 21mm ultra-wide adaptor fitted on the Sony 28mm f/2. I edited this in Aurora HDR Pro (from single photos.. I probably should have taken bracketed shots!) then final adjustments in Lightroom.

Landscape photography is an area I really hope to improve, I struggle to compose them and find interesting foreground. So, I'd really appreciate any critique on these, as harsh as it may be. I'm keen to hear from you about which shots do or don't work.

1. Cushendun

I'm not sure how many of you are Game of Thrones fans, but we visited Cushendun to check out the caves where Melisandre gave birth to her shadow baby! Near the caves is a lovely bridge and many colourful boats.

got-tour-hdr-1.jpg

2. Murlough Bay - The Wall

Murlough Bay is used in few different GOT scenes and is absolutely stunning when you see it in person. It's a steep drive down to the coastline.

got-tour-hdr-1-5.jpg

3. Murlough Bay - Slavers Bay

I climbed up one of the rocky peaks for this shot. Just below me is the part of the beach where Tyrion and Jorah come ashore on Slavers' Bay.

got-tour-hdr-1-6.jpg

4. Murlough Bay - The Peak

Another shot of the bay from a higher vantage point.

got-tour-hdr-1-3.jpg

5. Ballintoy Harbour

This shot is probably my favourite of the lot. It was taken at Ballintoy Harbour which is featured as the Iron Islands and is where Theon meets his long lost sister before riding to the Greyjoy home.

got-tour-hdr-1-2.jpg

Let me know what you think, any crit is really appreciated :)

Excellent set

Not sure why you have not had a comments.

#2 looks a tad over saturated to me.

But the other 2 bay shots are excellent and beautifully coloured.

Excellent set

Not sure why you have not had a comments.

#2 looks a tad over saturated to me.

But the other 2 bay shots are excellent and beautifully coloured.

Thanks for your thoughts Bryn! Yeah looking at the wall shot again now I can see you're right, it does look over-saturated. Glad you like the bay shots! I wasn't sure how well they worked.

Yes, agree with Bryn, look a bit oversaturated so I'm distracted by the colours and because of this, don't appreciate the images. Not sure, but there looks like a lot of shadow lift as well, which, for me, stops them feeling 'real'

Yes, agree with Bryn, look a bit oversaturated so I'm distracted by the colours and because of this, don't appreciate the images. Not sure, but there looks like a lot of shadow lift as well, which, for me, stops them feeling 'real'

Hey Maria, thanks for your feedback. I recently bought Aurora HDR Pro which I used to process the images, still getting the hang of editing HDR photos. Now I know to calm down with the shadow save and saturation! I can definitely see what you mean. I'll give them another edit in Photoshop and see if they improve any. Thanks! :)

Great set :). Love GOT too and number 2 certainly has that feel (I did a similar thing when I was in NZ with LOR locations!).

My only crit would be as above, they do seem a little over saturated and possibly underexposed slightly which is making them lack a little 'pop'. For stuff like this I can't help feel you'd be better off editing them in Lightroom (concentrating on contrast / curves and shadow lift etc) rather than an HDR type platform?

Back