Road trip through The Lakes

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
On Monday I am driving from Berkshire to Cockermouth/ Workington & then back to Wrexham on Tuesday.

I was planning to come off at junction 36 of the M6 & drive up the A591

Without having to detour much where would you stop for shots? I have never driven through this part of the world before.

I may come back down the coast on the A595 towards Wrexham (eventually). I am then stopping in Chester on Tuesday

Any advice gratefully received

John

Good choice coming off at J36, much prettier drive through Windermere/ Ambleside / Grasmere / Keswick, i couldn't think of a specific place to stop because it is literally all beautiful along the A591, just find a parking spot along the 591! i live in Keswick and often walk up to Ashness bridge / surprise view quite often. The trouble is though, with it being the middle of summer, the light is pretty flat, you either have to be up really early or wait until dusk for the good light.

Unfortunately have to be in Cockermouth by 7-ish so will take pot luck.

Are there pull-ins regular ?

What is the coast road like?

Questions questions!!!

Thanks in advance

John

forget the coast road and there are some pullins as you travel between windermere and keswick but only a couple where you have the potential for good shots, how much time do you think you might have as we can advise on some options if you think you will have a couple of hours.
Depending on the time you pass watersedge at ambleside can be a good option with views towards the langdales and back up the lake. There is also a pullin before you get to grasmere which gives views of silverhowe and the lake.

If that was me id use google maps to plan your route. You cant go wrong at all where ever you stop along that route youll get some good snaps. If you can make good time getting to Bowness id personally drive over Kirkstone Pass which would be a slightly longer route to Keswick but i think worth it. The shots of Windermere from the high road are brilliant late afternoon

Using that link,,,, My route would be head for Newby Bridge then up to Bowness then Ambleside, Take a right up the hill (know as the The struggle) always looking behind you for some awesome shots of lake Windermere, especially when you get to the Kirkstone pass pub then on down to Glenridding/Ulswater then take a left and head for the A66/Keswick and on to Cockermouth passing Bassentheaite.

There is loads of places along this route that could catch your eye all pretty close to the road so little walking, not only would I take this route for the photography side of things the driving experience is out of this world

Enjoy your trip ....... So jealous

Back