Roadside Poppies

InaGlo

TPer Emerita
Name
Glo
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive been scouring the local countryside looking for fields with more than just a few measley blooms and as yet Ive found none!
Saw these on a busy dual carriageway being blown around in the wind of passing traffic, so I stopped & grabbed a couple of shots.
Pic is straight out of the camera, no sharpening, cropping, etc. just a resize for the forum.
So, what would you do with it if anything? Im a bit disappointed myself but then Ive been looking at all your lovely macro shots and getting a bit green around the eyes as I only have my 50mm 1.4 to play with!

Copy-of-Picture-26587-1.jpg

It's not bad at all, especially for a Wolverhampton wench. :D

Whether by accident or design you've got quite a strong diagonal going there with the red poppies, and that's often good from a composition point of view. You could probably strengthen the diagonal by dispensing with that far poppy and doing a crop? I'll have a go for you in a mo if the phone will just stop ringing. :nuts:

What do you think? :thinking:

I selectively blurred the foreground poppy and some of the green stalky bits to concentrate attention on the central poppy, which I sharpened a touch.

poppies.jpg

OOh CT.. that looks so much better, thank-you!
The border really tidies things up too... Im going to have to start looking at using those.
Ive been playing a bit myself, & I tried to darken the background a bit but then my centre flower ended up looking superimposed, as I couldnt find its stem afterwards, lol!
I did manage to get the diagonal line on purpose in this instance ...but oh dear... you should see the shots of my Welsh Poppies :shake:
Thanks for taking the time CT, I really appreciate it .... Woverhampton wench indeed! ;)

I was just thinking about cropping cropping the most distant poppy, then scrolled down and noticed CT had already worked his magic :)

As ever - it needs a good image to start with - something special about wild poppy res against the dark green. Any of the three images would grace an album.

I like CTs take on your shot InaGlo, yours just had too much going on which distracted my eye.

Are you shooting with a dslr InaGlo, if so, I find I can think about utilising the bonus cropping in factor as a cheat to make a 50mm lens kinda into a 50-100mm ish? lens...only without the distortion. (y)
Just imagine a smaller frame within the viewfinder and use it as a longer lens.

Kinda bull**** that mm lens bit but I don't know how else to put it, the idea though, does help to extend a lenses focal length I find.

Just a thought. :)

i like poppies, lots around at the moment, saw some next to a rape seed field, but didnt have my camera, grrr

Back