Robert Mapplethorpe exhibition in Southport

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
The Atkinson in Southport has a Robert Mapplethorpe exhibition on until March 23rd. Well worth a visit if you like his work, black and white prints from film, or just great photography.

The show is mainly portraits with a few flowers (not enough of them IMO) and still lifes. I was familiar with most of the pictures but it's always nice to see actual prints the size they were intended to be.

Be warned...

DJL42062.jpg

DJL42056.jpg

DJL42060.jpg

Oooh. That's reachable for me in a couple of hours I reckon.

Anyone have any suggestions for other things to do whilst up there? (other than Formby beach)

Oooh. That's reachable for me in a couple of hours I reckon.

Anyone have any suggestions for other things to do whilst up there? (other than Formby beach)

What sort of things?

Sorry. Not helpful. Photography things. :)

Sorry. Not helpful. Photography things. :)
Well there's birds at WWT Martin Mere (there's a collection you can get close to and wild ones there) and RSPB Marshside not far away. Gormleys statues at Crosby. Not much dramatic landscape though apart from big skies if you're lucky. There's a pier - which is closed at the moment.

Dammit I was only in Southport on Tuesday! Not sure I would have taken my wife and 8 year old daughter round it though!
It was still shut for Christmas/New Year on Tuesday anyway.

Nothing lost then. There’s also an exhibition on of work by the illustrator of Dan Dare from the old Eagle comic - well before my time but sounds interesting nonetheless.
The Dan Dare show is worth a look, and the Art of Noise exhibition - which includes a couple of photographs. Photography seems to be taking its place in a lot of themed art exhibitions in the Atkinson since it reopened.

Also , have you been to Open Eye gallery in Liverpool? Worth a combined trip, say car to Southport and then train to Liverpool
I've seen some good stuff at the Open Eye but haven't been recently as there hasn't been much on that's taken my fancy. The one show which did want to see I never managed to find the time to visit. Open Eye seems more interested in art that uses photography than photography itself these days so worth checking what's on before going. Check the Tate too as there's been photography on show there - sometimes in mixed exhibitions.

Back