Robin Hood's Bay

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I visited Robin Hood’s Bay yesterday, what a beautiful part of the world. C&C welcome
6284216380_304b5574f0_z.jpg

6283694153_ffb12c7080.jpg

6284205092_7d2051ac74.jpg

6283638885_72ba5dbb4f.jpg

6283676287_e6bd38def2.jpg

6284192384_8a8e2f7265.jpg

I find it quite hard to see past the processing on these, which is a shame as there is something well seen and shot in pretty much every frame there.

I'm certainly not against HDR but as with anything that's added to what is naturally in front of the camera, if you can see it, then it's overdone for my taste.

The compositions are very interesting, but I tend to agree with Darren that the processig is detracting from the underlying image. Except for the first shot, I think it works with this one. But I'm afraid the tonemapping has left the other shots rather "muddy", particularly the second one where the white wall of the Bay Hotel has been left with a very blotchy grey complexion.

I'm hazarding a guess that these aren't HDR, but single exposures pushed through tone-mapping.

Processing a bit overdone for me too but it was great to see RHB again. We honeymooned at the Bay Hotel and have very happy memories of the place. Thanks Andrew.

The compositions are very interesting, but I tend to agree with Darren that the processig is detracting from the underlying image. Except for the first shot, I think it works with this one. But I'm afraid the tonemapping has left the other shots rather "muddy", particularly the second one where the white wall of the Bay Hotel has been left with a very blotchy grey complexion.

I'm hazarding a guess that these aren't HDR, but single exposures pushed through tone-mapping.
All the shots are three shot HDR. It was such a grey day, i decided to take this route! Although, i had set out to produce a HDR wave shot as in the first photo.
I showed the original shots to my kids without much of a reaction, there faces lit up when i showed them the HDR! but i do understand your views.

Last edited:
Andreww said:
All three shot HDR. It was such a grey day, i decided to take this route!

I should have thought those are the conditions *least* likely to require HDR.

Agree with everything above; the processing is getting in the way of some fundamentally sound compositions.

Personally, if it was all a bit grey, I'd have gone monochrome in those circumstances.

Last one, if you can stand it!

6284175302_45639b9e4e_z.jpg

Last edited:
Bet the guys regretting building his house there in pic 1...."I know the listing said it had an ocean view but bloody hell" :LOL:

Love the first shot, the grey sky and sea really works against the colourful building.

I am a fan of HDR and feel as these have been processed quite heavly they would have been better placed in "Creative Photography".

Most have some haloing around the buildings, a little more contrast may have made them pop just that little bit more. Having said that i do like them and feel there would have been more to achieve from the originals..My pick of the bunch is the last one.

Not sure of the process you used to take these, you have mentioned that you done a 3 shot for HDR.
So is this 3 jpgs made from a single raw ?. As it hard to see how you could have got a 3 shot bracketing, for instance from 1 & 5 as there is no bluring or movement from the sea or people.

I'm not averse to HDR providing it adds to the shots rather than detracts and I think Daz summed it up - these are well seen and composed shots, but the HDR is overdone. When you can see those grey veil areas and halos in the shot you've overdone the tone mapping, but I'd like to see these with more restrained processing. (y)

Some lovely scenes there without a doubt but yeah..more subtle hdr would have made these more pallatable.

I am a fan of HDR and feel as these have been processed quite heavly they would have been better placed in "Creative Photography".

Most have some haloing around the buildings, a little more contrast may have made them pop just that little bit more. Having said that i do like them and feel there would have been more to achieve from the originals..My pick of the bunch is the last one.

Not sure of the process you used to take these, you have mentioned that you done a 3 shot for HDR.
So is this 3 jpgs made from a single raw ?. As it hard to see how you could have got a 3 shot bracketing, for instance from 1 & 5 as there is no bluring or movement from the sea or people.
No, these were three seperate shots, i'll tell you how when i get back from the pub!

Right, used Photomatix software for all shots, blending three different exposures.
If you look close enough to photo no1 you might be able to see that the waves were never this rough just at three differnt positions!

Back