Robin in the garden

Edit My Images
No
Hey all,

Not managed to get any bird photos I've liked before. I was gardening this morning and a Robin seemed happy to be snapped. Camera is D7000 with the stock lens.

Bit dark but was pleased I managed to get the worm! :)

DSC_3365 by joe19random, on Flickr

Liked the feather on this one:

DSC_3416 by joe19random, on Flickr

Liked the eye in this one:

DSC_3409 by joe19random, on Flickr

DSC_3411 by joe19random, on Flickr

Managed to get a bit closer for these two:

DSC_3431 by joe19random, on Flickr

DSC_3440 by joe19random, on Flickr

Digging up some worms and waiting seemed to work well! :)

Cheers,
Joe

The last two are very nice indeed.

Welcome to the bird section Joe. The first 4 don't really do a lot I am sorry to say, the last 2 are much better. They both look a little flat and could do with a boost in contrast though. Also they are both too central in the frame, the bird needs some room to look into. Take a look at some of the other pictures in the bird section and you should see what I mean regarding the cropping. Robins are everyone's favourite and its always good to see them (y)

Thanks for the pointers, I did consider where the bird was looking on a couple but when I got up close I totally forgot, was just excited it didn't fly away! :)

I see what you mean about the contrast, when I looked back over them this afternoon I thought they were a little bright/white/over exposed. Not sure why I didn't spot this one this morning but I think the exposure is a little better (still very central)

DSC_3428 by joe19random, on Flickr

As long as you get that thrill of getting close or getting the shot of the bird/animal you've been waiting for, you wont tire of this type of photography and you will learn all the time your doing it.
The last image is an improvement for sure and a nice shot. I hope you don't mind me suggesting a few alterations though. I would crop it a little more, and keeping the same ratio, crop about 20% from the right and top, then place the robins eye just above the intersection of the right hand and top thirds lines.

In Lightroom (your using LR 4.3 I believe), increase the shadows to +15, contrast to +7, and clarity to +5. These are only my personal preferences so are only a starting point, we all see images differently, and I do think that if the picture pleases you, then that's ok.
I hope this helps.

Yeah, its was great fun. Will need to keep the camera to hand when working in the garden. Thanks for those tips, I'll give that a try.

(I hadn't actually done anything with the picture, just processed the RAW image as the camera saw it)

He he ...the good old Robin was where I started......I got some Mealworms(live) and set up a place to get close.
I hid the worms in a container amongst some rocks I have about a couple of feet off the ground and set up the kit on a tripod.
The kit I had was an Olympus E500 and kit 40-150 lens (no I.S.).
To refine the method I put a perch above the rocks with a decent b/g (or put a greenish screen behind) and took some like this.
Try and get the shots before they get the worms as it's more natural.
Blimey just looked ...these were 2007...I feel old now....lol
Hope you don't mind me putting these up on your thread .....these are what I got in next to no time....Keith (y)

The 1st one was where he came too close but I cropped the other one for the detail on the head.

Last edited:
Back