Robin in the mist....can't find a gorilla !

Canon Bob

Loves the Enemy
Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a bash at remote shooting using the 85L on a 30D. The shallow DOF at f/1.2 produced a misty effect from the OOF foreground.
Something a little different.
Bob
IMG_0005d.jpg

Bob Really like this cracking amount of detail in the chest feathers..

Shutterman

I really like that bud.......(y)

Great detail and colours, the oof foreground works well for me as well.

That is stunning, the detail is amazing!

How do you get it to land infront of your lens? That is something I'd love to have a go at!

Thanks folks....
The 85L is a stunning portrait lens but I've never tried birding with it before. I set up the tripod just in front of a wall and then laid the bait. I have a Zigview remote viewfinder and wireless trigger for the shutter. The camera was positioned very close to the MFD of the 85L
Have to confess that the OOF section below was accidental but pleased with it nevertheless.
Bob

Last edited:
Move your house to just next to the "Bird show" bit at Whipsnade!

have to disagree bout the foreground, not keen myself, but the rest of the shot, wow, how sharp is the feathers.
you can tell why the thing is so damn expensive!

excellent shot

Great shot Bob and appreciated more having been to your place, camera set up on wrought iron table/tripod and robin behind on the wall to the left of where I sat having coffee?:)

That is a stunningly cracking shot Bob ... :clap: ... great detail and a super bokeh ... (y) ... but I'm afraid, to me at least, the OOF bit in the foreground makes it look like you had your finger over the lens a bit ... :cautious: ... :D

:p

Like it Bob :)

The white mist at the bottom looks like its singing on stage surrounded by dry ice :D

yup-a cutie for sure-great pic:clap:

Cracker of a shot there Bob - really like the richness in the red.

Tom

I thought the OOF foreground was the mist that is referred to in the thread title. :LOL:

I think there is another Robin with a smoke machine, just out of view.

Very nice so how did you get to him so close???

I set the camera on a tripod with the 85L on it. I've got a Zigview remote viewfinder setup and a wireless trigger. Then I just sat there watching on the remote screen until the little fellow deemed to position himself infront of the centre AF point. The robin was about 60cm from the lens...almsost at minimum focus distance for the 85
As mentioned earlier, the misty look was a mistake...I set the tripod a little too low for the position of the robin and the foreground of the wall that he alighted on was outisde the DOF. The rest of the bokeh is very typically 85L on a 5D

Thanks for all the comments folks (y)

Bob

Great shot, hopefully mine will be here tomorrow (the lens, not the robin).

:clap: Vintage shot Bob but the quality is as good as ever.

My fault I'm afraid for replying to an old thread :bonk:

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I missed this first time around.

Excellent shot Bob lovely detail and colour, well done on your remote technique (y)

Back