Robin Williams RIP

Really sad to hear about this today. A fantastic actor, and someone that has made me laugh countless times over the years.

You will be remembered fondly, Mr Williams.

RIP

Just watched Dead Poets Society as I needed to dip my toes in again. Admirable as always.

S

V sad news, tears in the house. :(
Eldest daughter was born when Mork & Mindy was on, the bump was called Mork, right up till the birth, so she was Christened, Mandy. Always told her she was lucky to be a girl or her name would be Mork.

RIP funny man.

Gooooooooood-byyyyyyye Vietnaaaaam! That's right, I'm history... I'm outta here. I got the lucky ticket home, baby. Rollin, rollin, rollin'... keep them wagons rollin', rawhide!

R.I.P Robin WIlliams

Great actor, great comedian and looking at the interviews I've seen, and what people who know or have met him say, a very nice chap. RIP

So sad that the help he had to try and get over his addictions and his depression wasn't enough to get him to a very old age.

I read a few weeks ago that he was going voluntarily into rehab but I didn't expect this to happen. So sad, and you feel for his family and friends.

RIP Robin Williams... You were a part of my childhood growing up in the 90s!

Double-post, but the people saying "Oh he killed himself! His own fault then - no sympathy!" they really need to reassess their outlook on life. Williams suffered with depression for most of his adult life. If people can't comprehend how depression can drive a person to suicide, then that's just some more faith lost in the humanity of people :(

Double-post, but the people saying "Oh he killed himself! His own fault then - no sympathy!" they really need to reassess their outlook on life. Williams suffered with depression for most of his adult life. If people can't comprehend how depression can drive a person to suicide, then that's just some more faith lost in the humanity of people :(
The amount of people saying money and fame should be enough reason not to be depressed is saddening also .

Double-post, but the people saying "Oh he killed himself! His own fault then - no sympathy!"

What kind of heartless ****ard would say such a thing?

Heard this when I got up this morning... still sad now. A hugely under rated talent. Some people don't become famous for the fame... they're just driven people... and he was driven. We;ll never know why he decided to call it a day, and who gives a toss right now. The world has lost a great talent. :(

This is horrible. One of the funniest men.
I remember seeing a show of him life at the NY Met. in the 80's... One of the funniest things I've ever seen and sadly never made available on DVD etc.
Was lucky enough to see him do a short set at the Comedy Store in SF in 1991. Genius. RIP. :(

The audio of it is on iTunes. One of the very best stand up sets of all time.

nortethankst 6416715 said:
The audio of it is on iTunes. One of the very best stand up sets of all time.
Yeah I know..thanks. I've had the audio for a while. I believe it's the Met that has always prevented the release on vid or dvd. He was told he could play the met if he behaved. He failed lol. They weren't happy!

He was a nightmare to interview. They were always told they'd get one question so they should make it a good one because, once they asked it, they wouldn't get a word in for about half an hour! :LOL:

He was a nightmare to interview. They were always told they'd get one question so they should make it a good one because, once they asked it, they wouldn't get a word in for about half an hour! :LOL:
Funnily enough what I've read today was that he was God's gift to interviews lol

Enough that the guardian has quite a lengthy article about it (good read)

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...cide-and-depression-are-not-selfish?CMP=fb_gu
Great link Neil thanks I have been on the Guardian website today but must have missed it.

The amount of people saying money and fame should be enough reason not to be depressed is saddening also .
Thats the problem with the perception of mental illness in society. Its never taken as serious as physical illnesses but apparently depression costs the country around £9 billion thats a hell of a lot of money for an illness that many consider to be a personal weakness. In fact its that stigma that makes people reluctant to admit to it until often its too late. Depression is a totally debilitating condition can and often does destroys the lives of those depressed and often those close to them. Woman are more prone to it but men more likely to take their own lives. Depression knows no boundaries it cuts down the weak and the strong, the poor and the rich. Whilst Robins death is a sad day and a true loss it may be a catalyst to a new discourse on depression and how we deal with it in society as a whole.

:(

Being reported that he was facing bankruptcy and his latest TV series was shelved as a flop.

Being reported that he was facing bankruptcy and his latest TV series was shelved as a flop.

All sort of rummer start after things like this happen :(

But liked a lot of his films & his stand up stuff,and believe their was still a lot more to come

oh jeez.. another dead celeb and everyone mourns.. RIP RIP RIP..... Is it en vogue or something? Farcebook.. my page is filled with s***.. Sorry for the lack of sympathy.

oh jeez.. another dead celeb and everyone mourns.. RIP RIP RIP..... Is it en vogue or something? Farcebook.. my page is filled with s***.. Sorry for the lack of sympathy.

As far back as I can remember in memoriam threads have always been posted on TP.
The man was a comic genius.

Of course you have a right to ignore his passing, and note it.
(I'm guessing that's one of them thar oxymoron's)

Just the same as everyone here has a right to note his passing for prosterity.

Maybe people appreciated his considerable talents and find his passing sad. Nothing to do with being 'en vogue'. If you are fed up of all the s*** why bother looking at, and replying to this thread?

create your own thread to say you hate RIP threads if you really feel the need to voice it, but seems a bit shockingly rude to jump in with such a heartless comment in a thread filled with a lot of people who thought it a deserved mark of respect.

Time and place for opinions surely

Please don't pick on or insult my dead 'V' ..thank you :)

To be honest I'm with you on this Lynton - "Karaoke Grief" seems to be very in vogue (pretty much since princess Di onwards) , Its very sad that Robin Williams has died, its a sad loss for his family if any , and friends , and its a loss to the acting community ... but thousands of people die every day , many in as, or more, tragic circumstances, and as someone who didn't know him I can't really say that I feel genuine grief or mourning - and jumping on the RIP bandwagon seems pointless as the man is dead, he'll never see these posts and whether anyone wishes him to rest in peace or not will make very little difference (its also incredibly egotistical to think it makes any difference to those close to him - they've just lost their loved one , so it seems deeply unlikely they'll give a s*** whether people on a forum or on FB wish him RIP or not)

To be honest I'm with you on this Lynton - "Karaoke Grief" seems to be very in vogue (pretty much since princess Di onwards) , Its very sad that Robin Williams has died, its a sad loss for his family if any , and friends , and its a loss to the acting community ... but thousands of people die every day , many in as, or more, tragic circumstances, and as someone who didn't know him I can't really say that I feel genuine grief or mourning - and jumping on the RIP bandwagon seems pointless as the man is dead, he'll never see these posts and whether anyone wishes him to rest in peace or not will make very little difference (its also incredibly egotistical to think it makes any difference to those close to him - they've just lost their loved one , so it seems deeply unlikely they'll give a s*** whether people on a forum or on FB wish him RIP or not)

Pretty much what I was saying yesterday and on here....... yes it's sad, but 1000's do it every day.

Sorry

No grief here. I did not know him personally.

Sadness yes , but based on a loss of someone who has made me laugh for 40+ years and who I looked forward to the 'what next'. He visited me in my home many times to make me laugh and to be challenged. Sometimes he shocked me but mainly I laughed and looked forward to his next visit. If I was too busy to spend time with him there ws always another time.

For me personally his suicide triggered memories of 2 people I knew, who in the depths of despair from depression, took their own lives. At that point the past pops up and the shock of the past returns for a while.

This country has just remembered the loss of over 700,000 men in 4 years of a pointless war during 1914-18 with public ceremonies which included many tears from strangers or from the young who may not have any memories of family members who knew those that died... karaoke grief in those cases? You decide.

In following Lynton's lead are you creating a "karaoke disdain' crowd outbutst?

That said, thank you for your input..... it allowed me to have a retrospective on 2 friends who took their own lives and a Great Grandfather who survived being wounded and gassed in Belgium in 1917 (they called it Passchendale) only to spend a long time slowly suffering till his death in 1964. I was young enough not to know his suffering but old enough to have met him.Every year on a Sunday in November, his name is read out in church and complete strangers pray for his soul and put poppies around a small cross with his name on.......

I don't expect anyone who have anything to do with Robin Williams or his family to see or care about anything anyone says on the internet, but I don't see what is wrong about commenting on the passing of of an artist who you admired and/or appreciated. Especially when it is such a shock as in this case.

Yes, thousands of people die in many ways every day all around the world, and they are not mentioned unless part of a major disaster or die in particularly horrible or sad ways. Is that right or wrong? Just the way it is. With a famous person/celebrity people may feel they have an affinity with the person through their work and/or the way they have lived their life in the public eye. As in this case, a suicide, then the shock is stronger and people may want to voice their shock with like minded people.

Am I grief stricken about Robin Williams? No. Was it a shock, and did I think it was sad that depression was so bad for him that he felt impelled to take his own life? Yes. Do I feel for his friends and family because of his sudden death? Yes, of course.

I don't see what is so wrong with talking about it. It is the general discussion part of the sight after all.

And if it was a person who I didn't admire or care about one way or the other, I wouldn't be posting in a thread about those that did. I would still feel for the friends and family of that person, but wouldn't feel the need to voice that in a thread if I didn't like the person who had died.

I admired Lauren Bacall's early films too, and after her passing I hope she RIP too. A beautiful lady who was stunning with Bogart in those films.

Back