Robin

Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I'd sit in my garden for a while in the hope of getting to take a few photo's of a Robin. Now this is my first real go at this so not sure if I got everything right

Robin One.
Robin_0001_160k.jpg

Exif details, ISO 200, f8, Mode AV, 1\50s, Focal length 300mm, Camera Canon 350D, Lens Sigma 100-300mm.
Robin Two.
Robin_0002_160k.jpg

Exif details, ISO 200, f8, Mode AV, 1\60s, Focal length 300mm, Camera Canon 350D, Lens Sigma 100-300mm.
Robin Three.
Robin_0003_160k.jpg

Exif details, ISO 200, f8, Mode AV, 1\60s, Focal length 300mm, Camera Canon 350D, Lens Sigma 100-300mm.

I enjoyed myself just sitting waiting for something to happen so I would appreciate all comments as I'm not to good at bird photography as the little blighters don't stay still for long :LOL:

Many thanks for taking the time to look

(y) for me the 1st shot is good .. only thing is the few strands of grass if they were not there it would be so much better imho

No.1 is by far the best as you have eye contact with him and are down at his level. It needs the grass across the Robin removing and some space in front of the bird to improve the composition.
The colouration on the 2nd shot is a bit strange - looks like different WB.

Next time I suggest you try using fill-in flash to bring them to life. I also tend to shoot birds at f5.6 or less to ensure the foreground/background are nicely OOF. Need to make sure you focus on the eye then though.

Look forward to your next attempt.

Good efforts Davey. No1 is by far the best IMO.

What spoils your shots a little is the fact you've baited with those large chunks of bread, which gives the game away about how you've obtained the shots, as well as causing you exposure problems with blown highlights.

Wild bird shots are better aesthetically if there's no sign of feeders or other obvious signs of baiting. With a little careful thought and planning you can take garden shots which could have been taken anywhere in the wild, and those are far more saleable too.

In a garden you can make all the rules and get the odds on your side, feed at a distance where you can comfortably fill the frame, and use wild bird seed which doesn't show out in the shots. Feed around a shrub or bush which is at the right distance, and the background is at the right distance to be nicely oof. Shots are almost always better if the birds are off the ground and perched on some natural looking foliage. If you don't have anything suitable, then plant something, but make sure you position it to your best advantage. :)

Btw, bread can cause birds real digestive problems as it has a tendency to swell in their stomachs. If you must use bread, it's far better toasted and broken up very small.

to follow on from CT's advice, you could always use the old faithful fork or spade handle (is stick a fork in the grass) for the robin to rest on near a feeder too, so the feeder is out of site while shooting :)

Back