weekly robj20's 52 2024 [Week 03 - Soft]

Has that canal been drained? Given all the flooding recently I would have expected canals to be up to the towpath.
Nice leading lines and tonal range. I really like this shot it is very moody.

Very nice composition and the subdued colours are subtle and work well. Could almost be mono, but wouldn't be the same if it was.

Has that canal been drained? Given all the flooding recently I would have expected canals to be up to the towpath.
Nice leading lines and tonal range. I really like this shot it is very moody.
It's a disused canal, loads of them round here, only some sections still hold water others are long since buried.

Very nice landscape style capture, liking this pic' very much.

'tis a belter :)

Like that a lot, the rays of light really lift what would otherwise be an ordinary scene, but also like the leading lines of both the water and the fence though would have been tempted to edit that green bag on the fence which I can't now unsee. (y)

Like that a lot, the rays of light really lift what would otherwise be an ordinary scene, but also like the leading lines of both the water and the fence though would have been tempted to edit that green bag on the fence which I can't now unsee. (y)
I don't have such an editing package. Just DXO. I'm not one for editing things in and out of images anyway, I aim for what my eyes saw in the moment when processing.

That works well on a number of levels. Nice light, leading lines from the canal and fence, but like Donnie said I'd have tried to clone out the green bag unless this was a SOOC image for the tech theme (which I don't think it was), but that's just me being picky, and I take your point about that's how it was in the moment.

That works well on a number of levels. Nice light, leading lines from the canal and fence, but like Donnie said I'd have tried to clone out the green bag unless this was a SOOC image for the tech theme (which I don't think it was), but that's just me being picky, and I take your point about that's how it was in the moment.
It's something I struggle with on a decision making level. Where do you stop, green bag, change the sky, nice blue water in the canal. I try to only adjust exposure and colours IE a better version of what the camera would do as SOOC and aim to get what I remember the scene being in real life.

I agree with those above about the green, I would try to remove it. Otherwise I love the way you crushed the blacks. Really made it all about the light. Great work

Nice take on the theme. Metal (obviously) and hard on the legs etc. I can only remember having a 5-speed drop angle racing bike. This looks to be something from another league.

Hope you're in the big ring up front too. Wouldn't want to twist the chain.

What size is that tiny cog, looks very small
Big ring up front! Only have one up front a 32t.
It's 10t at the back largest is 52t.

Good take on the theme :)

LOL I used to be an avid road and mountain bike rider. Haven't in years and it shows. But this still made me cringe when I saw it. In the spirit of constructive critique, I would recommend a vignette to highlight that tiny cog even more. Of course that just MHO. Unless of course you were shooting SOOC.

Either way wonderful composition, I love the DoF and a great take on the theme

Big ring up front! Only have one up front a 32t.
It's 10t at the back largest is 52t.
1:5.2 ratio. I wonder how that compares to my old touring bike with a 3x9 setup. It is probably bigger just off the rear block. The simplicity of having it all in one is appealing.

1:5.2 ratio. I wonder how that compares to my old touring bike with a 3x9 setup. It is probably bigger just off the rear block. The simplicity of having it all in one is appealing.
Exactly why it's the common way of doing it now.
No need for a front mech or shifter.
520% range with just the rear 12 sp cassette. 10-52t.
Front is generally 28t to arrive 36t max these days. 32t does me plenty.

Difficult to get everything straight here as part of me wants to see the gear mechanism rotated to the left a bit to make it "straight" which would make the other lines all wonky. It's on theme though, and always good to see part of someone's hobby in the 52.

Soft Kitty Warm KItty little ball of fur....

:)

Back