Rocket blower vs. Air duster

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I hear a lot of people talking about rocket blowers here, but is there any reason you'd use a manual rocket blower over an 'air duster' (you know, those tins of air you use on your PC keyboard)? Just curious as I need something to blow a bit of dust out of my body, the mirrors getting a bit dusty, and I even found a stray dog hair in there this morning!

Only in that a manual rocket blower will be more gentle. I wouldn't want to use an aerosol version for fear of the potential damage you could cause.

Edit: tell your dog to get his own bloomin' camera!

I use rocket blower, but it is USELESS on stubborn dust. Physical contact is only way I can see of moving the nasty stuff.

Gary.

Always use the cans myself, never had a problem, just have to be careful, had two rockets and gave up with them.

Be really careful when using the compressed air blowers as they can splatter propellant all over the shop. You really don't want that on your sensor :(

Be really careful when using the compressed air blowers as they can splatter propellant all over the shop. You really don't want that on your sensor :(
:agree:

Always spray away with first burst then two short ones into the body, like I said, never had a problem.

Cheers guys, think I'll invest in one of both :)

Rocket Blower recharges after each pump while the air duster goes in landfill :nono:

Sorry for that, just felt a bit green :wacky:

Sorry for that, just felt a bit green :wacky:

Well pack it in before I set Clarkson on you :D

On a sersious note, at least a rocket blower's going to last far longer, especially at the price of those aerosols these days :eek:

I used a Rocket blower to clean the front of my filter, and it blew out what appeared to be fine specks of talcum powder all over the filter. I then had to clean the filter with lens cleaning fluid, but the powder left a kind of metallic looking residue on the filter which was EXTREMELY stubborn to remove. Pleased I wasn't blowing off my sensor.

Don't use canned air on a sensor. It is supposed to be just air but it does spatter propellant as well and leaves marks that will need pec pad swabs to remove.

Check for dust by taking a picture of something plain at f22. Use rocket blower. check again and note where spots are. Use rocket blower. check again. If spots still in the same place you need something more to remove them - purpose made brush or sensor swabs. If the spots changed position just keep trying until the spots are gone or minimal.

My cleaning thread

What ever you do, do not use ‘canned’ air inside the mirror box of your camera.

I used to work for a company that was one of the biggest distributors of this kind of product and printed on the can was ‘do not use inside camera equipment ’

I have seen focusing screens destroyed; shutters knackered, Mirrors ruined and lens coatings eroded by these products.

All though they are advertised as canned ‘air’ they are in fact liquid propellants that turn gas to when the trigger is depressed.

Some manufactures use two kinds of liquid propellant to reduce the pressurisation in the can (don’t ask I am not a chemist).consequently if you invert the can or shake it whilst in use you are likely to get a jet of streaming , freezing liquid that makes the inside of the mirror housing like a alpine Christmas scenes.

I use a rocket blower from Giotto and get an occasional sensor clean from a friend in the trade.

Back