Rockingham Horse Trials

Name
Lianne
Edit My Images
Yes
Went along to Rockingham on Saturday, it's been a while since I've taken photos of horses so thought I'd take the camera along to see what I could do... and to be honest I struggled a bit! When I looked through the photos when I got home I was a bit disappointed as the colours seemed a bit flat, the whites seemed too white yet the darks were too dark, and the focus seemed off on a few (probably down to user error, although it was on AF).

All taken with a Canon 400D and Sigma 70-300mm lens.

I've played around with them a bit, tried to knock the highlights back a bit, bring the shadows up and strengthen the colours without making them look overly played with.

See what you think, comments/advice welcome! :)

#1 - f/4.5, 1/320, ISO 200, aperture priority (I'm guessing the obvious mistake here is the angle as you can't see the pole)

Rockingham Horse Trials by Lianne Norfolk, on Flickr

#2 - f/5.6, 1/640, ISO 200, shutter priority (should have notice bright yellow JCB in the background! Shame as I like the effort the horse is putting in here!)

#3 - f/5, 1/400. ISO 200, aperture priority

Brigstock Horse Trials by Lianne Norfolk, on Flickr

#4 - f/5.6, 1/640, ISO 400, shutter priority

#5 - f/5.6, 1/640, ISO 400, shutter priority

#6 - f/4, 1/500, ISO 200, shutter priority

Thanks,
Lianne

I was tempted to go to this having never shot horses myself.

4, 5 and 6 are the best as they have no real background distractions, but overall i'd have been happy with the lot as they're sharp and colourfull enough for me (y)

1 the timing is spot on but the background lets it down a bit, if you stood against the restaurant tent you got a clean background :)

5 is a little too early, notice the horse back legs are still on the floor, 6 is very nice :)

As above though, comp and focus is good throughout the set :)

Harry.

Thanks for your comments :)

Which was the restaurant tent? (can't believe I didn't notice, lol). To the right of where I took these from?

Well done,Lianne,really good stuff,you should be proud,all the techie stuff is spot on.

Dont get carried away with just jump shots,there are loads of opportunities for other stuff,just let your imagination flow and take a few risks in compositions.

Pons

Well done,Lianne,really good stuff,you should be proud,all the techie stuff is spot on.

Dont get carried away with just jump shots,there are loads of opportunities for other stuff,just let your imagination flow and take a few risks in compositions.

Pons

Thank you :) I will bear that in mind next time and aim for a bit more creativity, are we talking horses running on the flat, close-ups, head-on shots.. that kind of stuff? I hear what you're saying, mine are all pretty samey...

Also looking through some of the other fantastic shots by others, it looks like one way to avoid busy backgrounds (on XC anyway) is to crouch lower to hide them behind the fence, so might give that a try.. not sure how it work with the angle of the horse and rider but I guess this is where risking it with compositions comes in :LOL: try it and see!

Back