Rodney Bewes (27 November 1937 – 21 November 2017)

Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
I used to love the likely lads
RIP

Radio 4 sometimes broadcasts the shows as radio versions.

Includes the first series when Terry comes back from Germany after leaving the army and his world, and Bob, has changed.

Easy to close your eyes and visualise from all those years ago, especially the episode where the lads are doing their best to avoid the results of the football match that has been played but for which the highlights were to be shown on TV - classic episode!

I emailed the BbC yesterday for them to run the series again on the radio! Might be a bit non-PC these days of the new ‘enlightenment’.

Last edited:
RIP Rodney, doesn't the time fly.
I have to go to a funeral in a couple of weeks time, and I was discussing this with a cousin. She said - "The last time I saw him was when I was 32" - and I replied - "That was 27 years ago"
I cannot repeat her reply.

Radio 4 sometimes broadcasts the shows as radio versions.

Includes the first series when Terry comes back from Germany after leaving the army and his world, and Bob, has changed.

Easy to close your eyes and visualise from all those years ago, especially the episode where the lads are doing their best to avoid the results of the football match that has been played but for which the highlights were to be shown on TV - classic episode!

I emailed the BbC yesterday for them to run the series again on the radio! Might be a bit non-PC these days of the new ‘enlightenment’.
Nothing to do with non-pc. Apparently James Bolam refuses to give permission for reruns. They had a falling out and haven't spoken for years. Shame.

Nothing to do with non-pc. Apparently James Bolam refuses to give permission for reruns. They had a falling out and haven't spoken for years. Shame.

Has been a while since R4 Extra streamed the show

Pitt really as they were great for night owls like me. There still loads of other shows on the radio to be had. There is a good 3 x 1 hour dramatisation of Jane Austen’s ‘Pride and Prejudice’ avaiable.. very good ut would prefer The Likely Lads!

Audible has 13 episodes available from the "Whatever... " series.

I read this the other day, apparently they fell out 40yrs ago but Rodney had recently been trying to talk to James and make amends. It only seems like a few years ago that they were showing the Likely Lads and Whatever Happened to The Likely Lads on TV, I think it may have been on Gold.

I read this the other day, apparently they fell out 40yrs ago but Rodney had recently been trying to talk to James and make amends. It only seems like a few years ago that they were showing the Likely Lads and Whatever Happened to The Likely Lads on TV, I think it may have been on Gold.

James was/is a very private person and Rodney gave out lots of details about his private life in an interview and that was it. He cut all ties.

They had a falling out and haven't spoken for years. Shame.
I didn't know that ..
They worked very well together. As you said shame :(

James was/is a very private person and Rodney gave out lots of details about his private life in an interview and that was it. He cut all ties.

Things probably weren't helped by the way Rodney was constantly dragging the matter up every chance he got making Bolam out to be the bad guy. There are two sides to every story and, as far as I'm aware, we've only ever heard one side.

Things probably weren't helped by the way Rodney was constantly dragging the matter up every chance he got making Bolam out to be the bad guy. There are two sides to every story and, as far as I'm aware, we've only ever heard one side.
Maybe but Bolam didnt even go to Bewes wifes funeral, and apparenlty they were all good friends at one time. It seems a shame to hold a grudge for so long.

Last edited:
I've met James Bolam and his wife several times, at least once socially and always found them both to be pleasant people
If he values his privacy then a friend should respect that

Back