Roe Deer

lovely Mike , I really miss my roe................cool seeing someone else's Cheers for sharing them The one deer I really want to catch rutting oh and some teeny tiny kids too:love: which are like looking foe a needle in a ruddy haystack even when one knows roughly where they are hanging out

Mike do you know if last year's male kids can show a double horn bud.? I've only been out a couple of times since chrimbo,lockdown an all.... We .found some on the way back from shopping last weekend.right by a road and pretty much bomb proof compared to the usual roe I shoot. biding my time now for a chance with some lovely evening light

The ,little lad had a double horn bud.........I always thought it was a single for the first year,but I don't know that. i'm as sure as I can be he is last years offspring, but those buds are messing with me.:LOL:

cheers again you have done well mate they aren't an easy subject , I believe they are the only large ungulate to delay embryo implantation,special deer a personal favourite

take care

stu

lovely Mike , I really miss my roe................cool seeing someone else's Cheers for sharing them The one deer I really want to catch rutting oh and some teeny tiny kids too:love: which are like looking foe a needle in a ruddy haystack even when one knows roughly where they are hanging out

Mike do you know if last year's male kids can show a double horn bud.? I've only been out a couple of times since chrimbo,lockdown an all.... We .found some on the way back from shopping last weekend.right by a road and pretty much bomb proof compared to the usual roe I shoot. biding my time now for a chance with some lovely evening light

The ,little lad had a double horn bud.........I always thought it was a single for the first year,but I don't know that. i'm as sure as I can be he is last years offspring, but those buds are messing with me.:LOL:

cheers again you have done well mate they aren't an easy subject , I believe they are the only large ungulate to delay embryo implantation,special deer a personal favourite

take care

stu
Cheers Stuart
I was just assuming it was last years but he could quite possibly be older.
I've only been lucky on one occasion to photograph the fawns around here.
We had a few herds but now we are down to one due to house building.

Roe Doe & Fawns by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

Roe Deer Fawn by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

I really like the second one of the first set you put up there.

yeah that's the little rascal , Mike..................................... bloody lovely TFS. so cool.................................... aren't they the most adorable .......................... thank you !!

To me Your little lad is last years Mike........... I can track various bigger infants.never that tiny thing like yours pictured above

So . I'm as sure as I can be yours is born somewhere around last may , when I finish trying to process i'll show him to you and his mum................... ha she's brilliant.

What I'm trying to work out is whether a young roe buck might stay with his mum for a year and a half, ( presumably she didn't kid last year)

Mine looks like a last may fella aswell , but that double spike foxes me????

I build houses Mike, it's a crust but I see what we are loosing, watch the larks trying to nest.............on a field destinded for concrete, that fact they are there to try amazes me ,but they don't do more than try. I don't begrudge any man or lady a warn dry place to call home mate, There's goods and bads

trouble is we need so many
so so many
so so so many

at what cost ?

to me Roe are hardwired differently to most of our other deer Mike, there's something about a red or fallow that allows then to be very quiet and comfortable with us. But roe never really chill in the same way. plausible maybe one on one ??

Ha funny :LOL: I use the word kid for almost all little things and call octagenarians kiddo:ROFLMAO: it's all innocent I don't mean no harm but hey best own it !!

and yet in this one case it's the correct nomenclature

They be not fawns ;)they be kids, Like baby goats mate.......................... Roe young are called kids wonderful isn't it !!

Thanks for sharing Mike lovely to see them so small

yeah that's the little rascal , Mike..................................... bloody lovely TFS. so cool.................................... aren't they the most adorable .......................... thank you !!

To me Your little lad is last years Mike........... I can track various bigger infants.never that tiny thing like yours pictured above

So . I'm as sure as I can be yours is born somewhere around last may , when I finish trying to process i'll show him to you and his mum................... ha she's brilliant.

What I'm trying to work out is whether a young roe buck might stay with his mum for a year and a half, ( presumably she didn't kid last year)

Mine looks like a last may fella aswell , but that double spike foxes me????

I build houses Mike, it's a crust but I see what we are loosing, watch the larks trying to nest.............on a field destinded for concrete, that fact they are there to try amazes me ,but they don't do more than try. I don't begrudge any man or lady a warn dry place to call home mate, There's goods and bads

trouble is we need so many
so so many
so so so many

at what cost ?

to me Roe are hardwired differently to most of our other deer Mike, there's something about a red or fallow that allows then to be very quiet and comfortable with us. But roe never really chill in the same way. plausible maybe one on one ??

Ha funny :LOL: I use the word kid for almost all little things and call octagenarians kiddo:ROFLMAO: it's all innocent I don't mean no harm but hey best own it !!

and yet in this one case it's the correct nomenclature

They be not fawns ;)they be kids, Like baby goats mate.......................... Roe young are called kids wonderful isn't it !!

Thanks for sharing Mike lovely to see them so small
I realised that after posting
Sorry ;)

Very nice Mike, welcome to the Sony a7Riii and 200-600mm club :)

Les

Don't be sorry Mike deer nomenclature is a complete ' mare, :) I certainly don't know it all but am fascinated by it.

I do love roe babies being called kids mate it's funny I don't like red young being called calves:banghead: and yet the BDS say that's what they should be called..seems too much like a cow to me almost belittles them?

anyway cheers for the little guys you added in for me, they are simply joy to me ,so I'll probably struggle for years to get the piccy I'd like of one :

that's nature toggin for you(y)

Back