Rolleicord and Rolleikin

Edit My Images
No
I was having a look at Rolleicords, and was wondering whether they are still fully usable as 6x6 cameras with the 35mm Rolleikin kit?

I wouldn't think so, but then I use a Rolleiflex with a f2.8 lens.

You will only have portrait/vertical orientation, and you'll have to blank out the sides of the screen.

It's okay if you want pano shots on the cheap :)

It was more, are they removable easily or are they a permanent fixture? I've been on the 'net for a while but it's all vague posts, some of which are dating 10+ years old.

It's not just the back.... how will wind the 35mm film accurately?

don't forget you need to find somewhere on your Rolleicord to fit the 36 exposure counter hole :(

It's not just the back.... how will wind the 35mm film accurately?

don't forget you need to find somewhere on your Rolleicord to fit the 36 exposure counter hole :(

The back has gears that fit the 35mm sprocket, once gear moves a certain amount the lever on the back engages with the gearing on the take up spool at the top, stopping the winding mechanism.

I'm not sure about Rolleicords, but on my Rolleiflex the kit is removable. The only thing that remains is the exposure counter, which isn't used when 120 film is loaded. I'll try to find the book I have on Rollei TLRs for a definitive answer on your 'cord.

Last edited:
Thank you, I'd appreciate it. I'm guessing you just remove the 36 exposure counter and put the original take up spool cover back on it?

Yes - my Rolleiflex is the same.

But the gearing for the Rolleicords is different.

It's primitive!

Thank you, I'd appreciate it. I'm guessing you just remove the 36 exposure counter and put the original take up spool cover back on it?

Ok, a bit of googling brought me these two links (my Rollei book wasn't much help!):

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00R05s

http://www.flickr.com/groups/rolleicord/discuss/72157607561233611/

I'm guessing that if your Rolleicord is compatible with the Rolleikin II kit, then like my Rolleiflex the 36 shot counter is permanent (it's only used for 35mm film anyway), but the internals (the mounting spool for the canister, the film mask and the take up spool) are removable (and so by removing them and sliding the pressure plate you have a fully working 120 camera). Since the Rolleikin II kit is compatible with both the Rolleiflex and the Rolleicord, they'll use the same gearing. If it's an early Rollei TLR then it uses a Rolleikin I kit which is different.

Back