Rolleicord Aperture/Shutter Change Help

Edit My Images
No
I've recently picked up a Rolleicord VA2 and I'm having a bit of trouble changing the aperture/shutter independently to one another. For example when I move the lever for the shutter I only can see options from B (bulb) to 1/30th sec (figures might not be correct but it's an example) throughout the whole range of the lever. Say I want to get the shutter to 1/500. When I hold the aperture lever and try to move the shutter independently it takes a lot more force than I'd expect for it to move which makes me believe I'm missing something. I have seen on other models that you push the aperture lever forward but I can't see that moving when I try it plus the space is so narrow from the body of the camera I struggle to get my finger in behind it.

I've got the manual and can't see this information there. Also I can't seem to find anything online i.e. google or YouTube.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Moving the shutter speed to 1/500 requires a lot more force than moving between any other shutter speeds. This is normal for all Compur shutters. I believe this model has the EV version of shutter. If that is so, to make it easier to see the speed scale, move the aperture/speed to the far end of its range without worrying about shutter speed yet. That will usually move the speed scale into better view.

Last edited:
This is actually a nice feature when you learn to use it. It automaticaly calculates the equivalent exposure.

Suppose your base exposure according to sunny16 is 1/125 F16, you can then quickly open your lens up to F8 for a portrait and it will automatically set the shutter to 1/500
I use this on my rolleiflex all the time

Last edited:
I have always like the EV system but it has never been very popular for some reason. My EV cameras are the easiest to use, certainly.

Ok so I'm a total moron! Nah wait! The guy in the video I watched is :LOL: the guy was putting his nail under the lever and lifting it out towards the lens to move the shutter and aperture separately. This is what I was trying to do. All I needed to do was push it in towards the lens like a push button and it works so easily. I figured this out before I'd seen these posts but thanks a lot for the replies!

Back