Rolleicord or superikonta

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm on holiday in NZ in a few weeks and trying to decide upon a travel camera. I've got a tlr and an Ikonta however my Ikonta needs repaired and I'm not convinced that the taking lens on the yashica is sharp.

So thinking of buying a new camera either a rollei or a superikonta in better nick. I've got 12 hours in Singapore so I'm intending on taking it in my hand luggage.

I'm not sure which I'd prefer. To top it off there is the ebay voucher for 20% off till 1800 tonight.

Thoughts, opinions, random pictures that don't really help in anyway?

It would be a Rolleicord all the way for me. Either a Va or Vb. I prefer mine over my Rollei 3.5F because it's much lighter and the end result is almost exactly the same.

It would be a Rolleicord all the way for me. Either a Va or Vb. I prefer mine over my Rollei 3.5F because it's much lighter and the end result is almost exactly the same.

My only thought is the Ikonta packs smaller but I suspect it's heavier.

Travel camera. I'd think something small and light and foldy would be best. Or the rollei 35. Tiny little thing. Fits in a pocket. Or an olympus XA2.

Not at all what you asked at but I'd want something that isn't going to be a dead weight and fiddly to reload. There's also the issue of whether exposed 120 film is likely to lose the sticky in humid weather an unravel itself while you're not looking...

For 120 travel camera then my fuji AF GA645i beast is pretty good. It's easy to use and is noticeably lighter than a leica. P & S with 120 :)

Wow, going to agree here! My Rolleicord Va is a beauty. There is something about using it I cant explain. Great to use, stunning quality, mine is not mint, has a few knocks but I wouldn't part with it (unless getting a better model). I have been through 2 Leica M2s and an M6 - and while they are great, the rollei has stayed!

Steven,

I would double check the PAY20LESS voucher, I am not sure it covers camera equipment?

For me it would be the ZEISS IKON SUPER IKONTA.

Last edited:
You would probably be able to pick up a Rolleiflex automat for the same as the cords. They have shot up enormously in the past 2 years, ridiculous prices now. :(

I'll add a vote for the Rolleicord. I have the Va and it's a great camera. Slung over a shoulder it really is no bother at all to carry. I've been enjoying it that much that I've wondered about moving up to a Flex 2.8.

I've travelled many times with my Rolleiflex. Camera, film, meter, nothing else to worry about. It's a great travel companion.

If it's a choice between a bigger camera with a wind-on lever and a smaller camera with a knob and red window, I'd definitely take the former if I could...

If it's a choice between a bigger camera with a wind-on lever and a smaller camera with a knob and red window, I'd definitely take the former if I could...
Hi Chris, the Rolleicord has a knob to advance the film (no red window though) and a separate lever to cock/ trip the shutter. Even with the knob advance the Cord is still easy to use, helped presumably by the larger size of the knob and the fact that it doesn't need to be wound on too far.
My one gripe is that to trip the shutter you must pull/ push the lever to the left (as you hold the camera). The solution is to use a cable release instead, I think that it's also possible to get an accessory which screws into the cable release socket and turns it into a shutter button.

Back