Roller Derby

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
Yes
This was a new one for me, never even heard of roller derby before. I got invited by a friend and it seemed interesting so decided to take the camera along and see if I could get any decent shots. Didn't really have the best lens for the job, everything was shot with the 50mm f/1.8 but got a few that I like, let me know what you think.

roller-derby-01 by billbring, on Flickr

roller-derby-02 by billbring, on Flickr

roller-derby-03 by billbring, on Flickr

roller-derby-04 by billbring, on Flickr

Good stuff, #2 & 5 are my faves but it looks like the light is better in that hall than where I have shot this event.

Looks like great fun and you've managed to capture that atmosphere, well done :)

Thanks for all the comments.

The light was very good, bright and even all over the hall. I was shooting f/2.8 1/160 at iso400 (or somewhere very close to that, can't remember exact settings off the top of my head).

I am now just questioning myself about whether I should have upped the shutter speed slightly? I have never shot any type of sport before and assumed that 1/160 would be fast enough, however there does seem to be some blur, which I like to an extent but just think it might be a little too much in some of the shots.

Great set! I really like the facial expression of player 11 in #6

Thanks, it's the one immediately to her right that caught my eye, she looks angry!

Back