Rollerbag suggestions for EasyJet flights?

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm heading over to Ireland soon and am going to need to take a fair amount of kit with me as cabin baggage. Can anyone recommend a suitable roller bag that would comply with EasyJet's baggage restrictions? They say it needs to be no bigger than 50 x 40 x 20cm to be guaranteed a space in the overhead locker so I guess they're my max dimensions.

In terms of what I'll need to carry in the cabin, Nikon D700, D800, 14-24mm, 24-70mm, 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, 135mm f/2, 2 x speedlights, 3 PocketWizards, batteries. I could probably get most of this into a backpack, but I'd rather have a roller because it'll weigh a ton. :puke:

Suggestions welcome!

If I remember - the planes were very small, so better under the seat in front. But they are pretty strict.
If you have time go to the airport and try one of the box things for sizes... and what the wheels... We bought a bag for a venice trip that quoted the right size, but when we got to the airport, the wheels stuck out and they forced us to pay nearly 100ukp to put in baggage hold.

I would just use something like a lowepro 400 aw Flipside rucksack.

If you are average build the weight shouldn't be too much. Sorry I don't know your age / circumstances.

A roller bag will limit how much you can use it at your destination? Or are you packing another empty smaller bag in your suitcase?

If having to travel Easyjet +1 on the speedy boarding to reduce queue times and ensure space in the overhead compartments.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I've gone for a Kata FlyBy 75 roller bag which should allow me to get all the essential stuff in it.

I have a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW and whilst I can carry a similar amount of kit in it, it's not the most comfortable thing to lug around fully loaded.

Also, yes, I'll be taking over my usual shoulder bag to use at the destination.

In case anyone else finds this info useful... The FlyBy 75 was fine on EasyJet. I got to take it into the cabin and stowed it in the overhead locker despite it weighing in around 15kg. Kit-wise, I managed to fit in Nikon D700, D800, 14-24mm, 24-70mm, 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8, 105mm f/2.8, 2 x speedlights, 3 PocketWizards, batteries and an iPad!

or alternatively just get to the gate in plenty of time so that you get to the head of the queue for non speedy boarding, there are generally only a few families and some business people who pay the extra. Once your bag is in the overhead bin you're laughing. If you are in one of the front 15 rows try for the single size bin several rows in to the cabin which will fit your larger size bag with no room for anyone else to cram stuff against it.

or alternatively just get to the gate in plenty of time so that you get to the head of the queue for non speedy boarding, there are generally only a few families and some business people who pay the extra. Once your bag is in the overhead bin you're laughing. If you are in one of the front 15 rows try for the single size bin several rows in to the cabin which will fit your larger size bag with no room for anyone else to cram stuff against it.

That worked fine until the changed the rules. Apparently they now reject bags that are over the new size at checkin.

I'll be measuring up my TT 4-sight today ;)

They were spot checking carry-on baggage size at the check-in desk and also at the gate. Fortunately, mine wasn't checked because it might have been a squeeze to fit into the smaller set of dimensions.

I use a calumet roller bag insert inside a members soft roller case. This is within the Ryanair limits which I presume are among the tightest around and also has the advantage of not looking like a camera bag. Best of all it cost sixty quid for both bits.

That worked fine until the changed the rules. Apparently they now reject bags that are over the new size at checkin.

I'll be measuring up my TT 4-sight today ;)
If you check in on line you go straight to the gate, I have been on easyjet flights recently where the flight was nearly fulland no one checked my cabin luggage which fits the old size not the new which is nearly impossible to get a roller case for.

TK Max sell Timberland (and other makes) roller cases at 75% off the RRP. A Timberland one with an RRP of £420 sell for £79, so once you find your size head to TK Max and save £'s.

Hi, I'm heading over to Ireland soon and am going to need to take a fair amount of kit with me as cabin baggage. Can anyone recommend a suitable roller bag that would comply with EasyJet's baggage restrictions? They say it needs to be no bigger than 50 x 40 x 20cm to be guaranteed a space in the overhead locker so I guess they're my max dimensions.

In terms of what I'll need to carry in the cabin, Nikon D700, D800, 14-24mm, 24-70mm, 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, 135mm f/2, 2 x speedlights, 3 PocketWizards, batteries. I could probably get most of this into a backpack, but I'd rather have a roller because it'll weigh a ton. :puke:

Suggestions welcome!
Why not use a backpack instead? You will get more inside then a roller bag

The roller will weigh more. A good backpack won't hurt your back if u get a good one. More versatile and more mobile

Back