Rolling Car Shots

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

I'm not at that point where I want to invest in a car rig, so I'd like to go for the next best option and shoot from another car alongside. So I was wondering for those who've done this: how feasible is this to do solo? My idea being I set up the camera on a tripod in the back with a remote, roll the car and fire off shots from the front seat. Ideally I should get someone to assist me, but if I can't do that... does my idea sound doable? Or just plain stupid?

Cheers

I can't recommend doing anything other than driving if you're driving a car, and I'll bet the 5-0 would see it the same way :LOL: I'd hold off until you can get a mate to drive while you shoot.

Hi guys,

I'm not at that point where I want to invest in a car rig, so I'd like to go for the next best option and shoot from another car alongside. So I was wondering for those who've done this: how feasible is this to do solo?

:thinking:

Drive two cars and take pictures at the same time?

That I'd love to see :naughty:

Seriously though, hanging out the back of a car with a camera taking pics of another car even when there is someone else driving the camera car tends to be frowned upon by the constabulary....

We do it all the time - tracking shots, but be prepared to get done for not wearing a seat belt. They don't like you out of the sunroof, out of the side window or hanging out of the back of an estate car. A van with sliding side door is a favourite too - the Merc has a sliding door BOTH sides!

A van with sliding side door is a favourite too - the Merc has a sliding door BOTH sides!

Abseiling harness and a bungee and your laughing :D Safe as houses.

Buy some suction cups and superclamps, stick your tripod to your car. Frame the cars up, drive along at a matching speed (circa 30mph), trigger the camera via pocket wizard.

We do it all the time - tracking shots, but be prepared to get done for not wearing a seat belt. They don't like you out of the sunroof, out of the side window or hanging out of the back of an estate car. A van with sliding side door is a favourite too - the Merc has a sliding door BOTH sides!

Haha- Both doors opens at 50mph causes serious pressure build up in the back of the van!

Or you can build a quality rig like I did :)
Please note, I did this in about half hour last year, I'm building a new more sturdy one soon once the magic arm is delivered and I've sourced some decent half-tube magnets!

DSCN0758.jpg

IMG_0008_2.jpg

IMG_0008_3.jpg

As you can see, for £10 it oozes quality, you'll get nothing like it anywhere else :D

Rob, can I ask where you got your tube from, what diameter and what length???

sure, it's an old clothes line pole I found in the shed 5ft 9" long, 3.5cm OD and 1mm thick.

I'm going to see how it does with a magic arm & superclamp rather than tiewraps :) otherwise I'll be ordering a 2meter pole with a 2" OD and 3mm wall if the flex is too much on the clothes pole!

I made my rig but I find it too awkward to use, so I'm making a few modifications to it.

But generally, I get the car owner to drive the car at 1-2mph whilst I walk alongside it holding (supporting) the camera/pole and taking shots using a remote.

I've got some very sharp shots so it works for me!

Make sure you buy some ND filters. I have 2x ND8's and even that sometimes isn't enough.

2f7e9e66.jpg

6f7448f9.jpg

8cbfc019.jpg

Back