Romans Abramovich's old Super Yatch comes to Port

Edit My Images
Yes
Well what a surprise I had today driving on long the sea front. Roman's old toy, Le Grand Bleu, apparently he gave it to his accountant.

It came here to refuel £80,000 worth, I'm told it's the 5th largest private yatch.

More on my flickr

Always nice to see, I'm surprised all the toys are kept on board still.

Grand Bleu was used to follow his main yacht Pelorus around so that all the toys would be available for use whenever required. (main mecause he had 4 at the time) If I recall that sailing yacht on deck is a 60 footer.

Amazing pictures! Just had a quick Google the beautiful sailing yacht (Bellatrix) on board is a 74 footer by Dubois design (Lymington, Hants). The main boat itself is bloomin' ugly though.

He's alleged to have an anti-ccd laser on his new yacht which can kill a dslr, just as well that's his old boat :LOL:

thats some toy, i was in Turkey in June this year and his current toy was floating about... i would be more than happy with the wee boat that comes out of the back ....

apparently he gave it to his accountant.

Kinda true, he actually gave it to Eugene Shvidler, more of a business partner and one of his cohorts in wrestling control of Sibneft.

As a Yacht it's as ugly as my bottom but I'd have it over his other two manhood extensions Pelorus and Ecstasea, it genuinely looks like it could sail the seven seas rather than just ponce around the Cote d'Azur :)

Really good spot mate (y)

As a Yacht it's as ugly as my bottom but I'd have it over his other two manhood extensions Pelorus and Ecstasea, it genuinely looks like it could sail the seven seas rather than just ponce around the Cote d'Azur :)

I rather like it, it has the appearance of an ocean going tug.

I wouldn't fancy going anywhere exciting with that yacht on board though but it is very impressive as a tender.

You can tell boats don't do much for me when the most impressive thing is the fuel bill £80000 blimey that would get my little van 800,000 miles :)

Always nice to see, I'm surprised all the toys are kept on board still.

Grand Bleu was used to follow his main yacht Pelorus around so that all the toys would be available for use whenever required. (main mecause he had 4 at the time) If I recall that sailing yacht on deck is a 60 footer.

The sailing yacht looks more like a forty footer to me, and the huge yacht is ugly - but I wouldn't complain at owning them!!! My dad has always been into boats so all our childhood holidays were spent on whichever one he owned at the time. I used to drool over such boats at the international boat show every year, thinking maybe one day. I'm still having to drool from afar. Trying to persuade Cowasaki to fall in love with boats but he's having none of it. :-(

Amazing pictures! Just had a quick Google the beautiful sailing yacht (Bellatrix) on board is a 74 footer by Dubois design (Lymington, Hants). The main boat itself is bloomin' ugly though.

Looking at photo number 2, that's one tall chap if it's 74 foot long! :thinking:

Don't mean to hijack the thread but this is Abramovitch's other toy, Pelorus, which spent two weeks moored outside my hotel in Phuket, Thailand a few years ago

IMG_6128.jpg

It's ugly as hell, but I guess I wouldn't complain if someone gave it to me! ;-)

Generally the prettier a boat is the less practical it is, though once they get this big you ought to be able to get both.

This is a very practical ship, a real work horse.

I think it is good to see people move away from the merely pretty to the more capable. There have been a few converted ice breakers in recent years as the very wealthy get bored with just visiting Portofino and look for something more challenging.

Generally the prettier a boat is the less practical it is, though once they get this big you ought to be able to get both.

There are some really good looking, huge and practical yachts out there. They don't have to be ugly - but like I said, I wouldn't say no. I could put up with comments about its ugliness if it was mine.

I think it is good to see people move away from the merely pretty to the more capable. There have been a few converted ice breakers in recent years as the very wealthy get bored with just visiting Portofino and look for something more challenging.

I'd love to visit Portofino even once in my lifetime - and other places in Italy too. The poor things, having to put up with being bored visiting such a lovely place!

you don't need to be rich to visit portofino, and I recommend it for a day trip from somewhere like Rapallo.

If you have never been to Italy this is a great area to explore cheaply by train and ferry

Oh, I know you don't need to be rich to go to Italy. It's just somewhere I've always wanted to go, and hubby has promised me ever since we've been together. I wanted to honeymoon in Venice and I found a great package that we could have afforded, but at the time Darren didn't trust the idea of making your own holiday on the internet, so he found a package deal in Greece instead. It was lovely, but not Italy. Strangely enough, I'm not that fussed about Rome but would go for the photographic opportunities. I'd like to visit Venice, Tuscany, Portofino, the Amalfi Coast and the Italian Lakes. I wanted to do the Lakes when we were bikers - that would have been some holiday, but we never got round to it. Maybe one day.

If you stay in Rapallo, you can get the train to the Cinque Terra and walk the coastal path between the various villages catching the train back again. You can get the ferry to Portofino from Rapallo too.

Thompsons do packages to Rapallo I think, but it is as easy to book it yourself. Venice is lovely, it can be done very cheaply with a package to Lido di Jesolo and then get the ferry or bus to Venice for day trips.

We are off to Italy in November to visit friends near Lake Garda and Lake Maggiore. Flights were £145 return for two!

Anyway, back to the boats, but get over to Italy sometime.

Back