Critique Ronda

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Managed to get down here for a day. I discovered this view last March but missed the best of the light. The view is taken from the town (but none of the known viewpoints) and I found it by chance when I was driving around looking for a place to park. Someone has this view from their apartments and having explored the town and area well this is the one I like the best. I'd be quite happy to waking up to this every morning. Although it was very early in the morning it was still lovely and warm. I don't care much for the cold and damp that lies ahead of us for the next 6 months. I far prefer the summer when the trees are green and the sun is shining. I think the shot looks its best in a letterbox style format but with the houses at the bottom. The mountains in Andalusia aren't as striking as the Dolomites, Alps or the Pyrenees but this lovely arid landscape is just so different to what we get back in more northern climes it makes sense to drive down here if you like the sun. I'll be back for sure.

Dawn

_DSC1940 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

First light

_DSC1948 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Golden hour

_DSC1965 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

I like the first 2 very much Steve, but the 3rd is just a little washed out looking *for my tastes*. It's a fabulous area, and you've found a great viewpoint.

Closest I'd get is Rhonnda :D
Interesting stuff cheers. I'd agree a little washed out looking but that's the light. I had the same in death valley

I agree with Toni, the light in No 3 is just so "yawn" (IMO) whereas the other two have a little bit extra lightwise.

Agree to an extent, the pastel dawns are the ones for me. I quite like the golden light, more than you, but this place is at its best when some clouds roll in and cast some interesting shadows. Didn't happen for me this time but will be here next year. It's a wonderful and under-rated area. It's had a fair amount of PP to get it even from raw to this.

Here's last years one. I prefer this years compositions with the tighter framing but that sky was to die for. I will be back for sure.

_DSC7736 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
Agree to an extent, the pastel dawns are the ones for me. I quite like the golden light, more than you, but this place is at its best when some clouds roll in and cast some interesting shadows. Didn't happen for me this time but will be here next year. It's a wonderful and under-rated area. It's had a fair amount of PP to get it even from raw to this.

Here's last years one. I prefer this years compositions with the tighter framing but that sky was to die for. I will be back for sure.

I'd certainly like to go back too, but not sure when that will be possible. We fell in love with Andalucia last time.

Second one is the best for me with lovely shade of sky, none of them look like Wales though?

Lovely pastel shades, nice work.

I think out of the first three the first one is the strongest composition, not saying I dislike the others but the balance is best. Losing the right hand side of 3 makes it slightly left hand side heavy in comparison, but I like the different light in all of them.

Seeing your shot from last year, I also wonder if there is a vertical shot to be had of the lump on the right of 2, with the house, and more foreground showing the track leading into the scene...

Back