Rood Ashton Hall Steam Loco

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this photo this morning as it approached Gloucester. Tyseley to Hereford…. Unfortunately not working very hard hence no steam.

If anyone with a steam loco interest can point me in the right direction for Realtime that would be great. Today I took my wife's 3G iPad so I was able to log in to Realtimetrains by clicking on the 1Z63 blue coloured number (outward-bound) which is at the top of the 'Times/location' column on page 2 of UkSteam but this only shows where the loco is scheduled to be at a particular time,it doesn't show where it actually is.Photographers at trackside have,previously,been able to tell me a train is running late and where it is. What App are they using ? The only other person at my location was a man and his dog ..taking it into the fields over the crossing.At the last location someone told me to click on that blue number for realtime but then I found it wasn't actually realtime at all but scheduled.

2qukc9j.jpg

Can't answer your question but enjoyed looking at your photo ... nice colour and blessed with a fine day :)

Train really "pops" out and would make a lovely illustration on a jigsaw or model box. Really good composure as well

Thanks again tg. There's been a lot of cancellations this year for steam tours due to the austere economic environment,hopefully it will improve next year but I think people will be struggling for a while.The cheapest fare is £80 and you can pay £200 in the posh carriage.

Ouch... thats a shame but they are expensive to run and I know its mainly done by volunteers. i hope they keep running....

Yes, they'll keep running ,Pete Waterman is a great fan and big contributor so fortunately there are wealthy enthusiasts about and as you say most work carried out by volunteers but there is a problem looming..the old engineers with the experience are getting too old and there aren't the youngsters coming along to take their place. All training is on diesels and electric.

Excellent, you could always add some steam :whistle:

Pete Waterman is running a apprentice scene at Crewe. Was told this by Pete himself at a talk he gave a couple of years ago at Codsal near Wolverhampton, all out of his own pocket.

Trevor

Thanks,Norkie. I hadn't hadn't thought of that. I think that's acceptable.It would make a big difference. I won't be able to do it as I only have LR4 but my neighbour has the full Photoshop.

Cheers,Steve. It might be that I'll have to wait until the next photo opportunity and ask one of the enthusiasts there but in the meantime I'll keep trying to find out. There doesn't seem to be a forum for steam loco photos like TP. I've found a couple with a weird way of getting photos up..nothing like on here.

Trevor..That's great news. He's a good man,is Pete W. Really dedicated to steam.

Does anyone else see the irony in the original question? Nice picture, but I agree it would be better with a plume of cloud out of the funnel. Never mind - but I cn't help smiling at the world we live in where everything is done by an 'app' (I don't have a single one on my 'not-so-smart' Galaxy - I haven't a clue how to work it so as to get them on there. :help:

The age of steam, where things were done with human brains and muscle, being photographed through the information superhighway. Love it. :D

Thanks again tg. There's been a lot of cancellations this year for steam tours due to the austere economic environment,hopefully it will improve next year but I think people will be struggling for a while.The cheapest fare is £80 and you can pay £200 in the posh carriage.
I'm not so sure that this year's cancellations were driven mainly by cashflow. Certainly there have been a few, but the middle of the year was decimated by the fallout from Wootton Bassett.
It's interesting to hear that Pete Waterman is sponsoring apprentices, but don't forget that many of the (bigger) preserved railways are also organising/offering apprenticeships, often with the backing of lottery funding. Hopefully we'll manage to maintain some engineering skills base in this country...

Simon .I'm pretty hopeless with technology too ..not a Luddite by ant means.I thought a Galaxy was a US car or a large live-in space craft..Lol. I do envy people who seem to be wizards with this stuff. , especially older folk. Re./ the steam I only have Lightroom4 but I sent it to my neighbour who added smoke from this same loco taken on another occasion and it just didn't work. Doesn't look right. The answer is to get to a location where it's working hard..Sapperton Bank..Stroud Valley, for instance. http://steamtube.ning.com/video/5043-blitzes-sapperton-bank-hauling-the-cheltenham-flyer

Tim...Yes, Wooten Basset didn't help did it. Good news re. the apprenticeships.

Seems my wife has a friend who lives at Alton so I'll suggest a visit and I'll get to see the Watercress Line.I still have your directions... thanks.

Back