Beginner Rookie lens fail

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I am a n00b. I have had six months of great fun shooting with no real agenda on a 550D with a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di-II LD ASPHERICAL IF Lens. A mate of mine who is way more heavily into his photography had a 5D mkii and started eyeing up the mkiii. I have successfully nagged him into flogging me the mkii and buying the mkiii for himself.

Unbeknownst to me at the time of purchase, the Tamron lens is specifically for APS-C cameras. On the 5D it gives me black corners. It's forced me to use my nifty fifty more, but I do need a zoom.

Without spending Canon L lens money, what other zoom lens options are there that work on a 5D?

You would be looking at something around the 24-70mm range to get an equivalent field of view to 17-50mm on crop

Both Sigma and Tamron offer these lenses which will no doubt be cheaper than the Canon offering

During my brief excursion into FF i bought a Tamron 28-75mm, a fair bit cheaper than the 24-70, but still comparable in sharpness to the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 i had on my crop body

Hello all,
Without spending Canon L lens money, what other zoom lens options are there that work on a 5D?

From a Canon perspective, anything labelled EF rather than EF-S
For Tamron it is Di (Not Di-II)
For Sigma it is DG (not DC)

(This ignores the fact that it is possible that some newer lenses *may* not play nicely with older bodies - I can't give examples, others may).
Hope that helps.

Why not practice more with nifty fifty? I'm more of a 35 & 85mm man (happy with just 23mm Fuji X100 and 60mm Fuji lens), but the nifty fifty is a fantastic gateway into prime lenses. Prime lenses makes you think more about composition and framing.

What sort of budget have you got in mind?

The Canon 24-105mm F4 L IS is not too expensive, covers great range and goes perfectly with 5D mark 2. I just my old one for £330.

rpsmith79 - Thanks for the info. I've been Googling that lens and it's definitely on my shortlist now. Why did you have such a short stint with FF?

LC2 - Thanks for decoding the lens model hieroglyphics for me. That makes things much simpler. At the time of purchasing the Tamron my only "rule" was that I was looking for constant aperture and the Tamron seemed to tick that box and be within my budget.

wuyanxu - Absolutely! I was neglecting the nifty fifty because the Tamron zoom on the 550D made light work of everything. But it also made me complacement, like I didn't want to put much effort into getting the best shot of the day. So I am enjoying the somewhat steep learning curve of the 5D AND the 50mm lens as they both demand certain things of each other, and of you.

Budgetwise I can eventually stretch to the Canon 24-105mm F4 L IS lens, but buying the 5D has cleared me out cashwise so that's not gonna be til Christmas. Hence wanting something a little cheaper to tide me over. I've noticed a few of the camera websites do part-ex, so I could always chop the Tamron in against whatever replaces it, but I'd imagine they really lowball you price wise.

That said, if I saw the Canon 24-105mm F4 L IS come up for £330 right now, from a place that took credit cards, I would probably just take the plunge now and have beans on toast for dinner for an extra month. Heh.

rpsmith79 - Thanks for the info. I've been Googling that lens and it's definitely on my shortlist now. Why did you have such a short stint with FF?

LC2 - Thanks for decoding the lens model hieroglyphics for me. That makes things much simpler. At the time of purchasing the Tamron my only "rule" was that I was looking for constant aperture and the Tamron seemed to tick that box and be within my budget.

wuyanxu - Absolutely! I was neglecting the nifty fifty because the Tamron zoom on the 550D made light work of everything. But it also made me complacement, like I didn't want to put much effort into getting the best shot of the day. So I am enjoying the somewhat steep learning curve of the 5D AND the 50mm lens as they both demand certain things of each other, and of you.

Budgetwise I can eventually stretch to the Canon 24-105mm F4 L IS lens, but buying the 5D has cleared me out cashwise so that's not gonna be til Christmas. Hence wanting something a little cheaper to tide me over. I've noticed a few of the camera websites do part-ex, so I could always chop the Tamron in against whatever replaces it, but I'd imagine they really lowball you price wise.

That said, if I saw the Canon 24-105mm F4 L IS come up for £330 right now, from a place that took credit cards, I would probably just take the plunge now and have beans on toast for dinner for an extra month. Heh.

I'd suggest either wait for the 24-105L and use the 50mm in the meantime (its only 4 months), or just get the 24-105 now if you can afford it. I don't see the point of getting something else then trading it in a few months (unless you decide to keep the cheaper lens, but then you are probably not doing the 5d service)

MPB have got the 24-105 F4L from £349, in fact they have 26 of them!!

I will third this, absolute corking lens for not very much outlay, you will lose the stops you have been used to do work out if that will be damaging to your photographic needs...

Are you looking to sell your aps c gear? Put a quote request in to mpb see what you will get for trade.

Update:

Well I was prepared to wait it out and get the cash together for the Canon 24-105 F4L over the coming months, but then I got talking to a pro photographer I know. She is is going to sell me a slightly dinked Canon 24-70 2.8L. It's a couple of hundred quid more than the other one but I simply cannot say no. She doesn't want to sell til November anyway as it's still in regular use, which works out perfectly and gives me ample time to scrape the cash together. Huzzah!

You'll not go wrong with a Canon 24-70L, irrespetive of whether it's a MK1 or MK2, I have the MK2 and it's an improvement on the Tamron 17-50 that lives on my 7D.
No one mentioned it during the thread though as I guess we all assumed it was not going to fit well with your "Without spending Canon L lens money" requirement seeing as new they go for close to a £1.5K
You are aware that it doesn't have IS I assume? Regardless, it's a great lens and will work well with the 5D2, well played getting one cheaply :)

BTW, has anyone mentioned that you really mustn't use APS-C lenses with full frame cameras? You might be lucky with the 17-50 (I don't know), but the issue is that the back element of the lens protrudes further into the camera and can come into contact with the mirror...

I just thought it was the done thing to do with upgrades, go FF, but i didn't notice as big a difference as i thought i would, plus the fact the lenses were much more expensive for crop equivalent lenses

Added to the fact i then started to get more into Wildlife photography soon realised the reach i had lost would cost me a small fortune to gain back by buying longer glass, so i stuck with my 300mm f4 and went back to top of the range crop sensor Nikon (D7100), which i would say was on par IQ and high ISO wise with the older FF body i had before (D700)

LC2 - Yeah I didn't think such a thing was going to be within my budget but god loves a trier and I happened to approach this pro photographer at the right time, so I am scoring a good deal. And good point about the APS-C lens on a 5D. Luckily when I check how far the back element protrudes it is much the same as my nifty fifty, and nowhere near as obtrusive as the Canon EF-S kit lens I have lying around. It doesn't look like it's gotten within touching distance of the mirror, so luckily I appear to have got away with it. It obviously won't be going anywhere near the 5D in future!

rpsmith79 - Yeah that makes absolute sense. I adored my 550D but it I had that after three years of owning a 400D and felt it was time to go FF for the sake of my own learning curve.

The 24-105 is a great lens and for the price, especially 2nd hand you wouldn't be disappointed with it, gives a nice reach (for me) and the IS does help on occasions.

She is is going to sell me a slightly dinked Canon 24-70 2.8L. It's a couple of hundred quid more than the other one but I simply cannot say no. She doesn't want to sell til November anyway as it's still in regular use, which works out perfectly and gives me ample time to scrape the cash together

Sounds like it's a good price - check everything works as it should and the "dink" isn't effecting anything - shouldn't be if she is still using it, but you need to make sure...

Enjoy whatever lens you get :)

The 24/ 105 is a very good lens. I have used it for a long time and haven't really missed that 1 stop I could get from the 24 70

The Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is the full frame equivalent of the 17-50. Around the £200 mark second hand.
I really liked my Tamron 28-75mm for the money it was outstanding and the size and weight were great I only chopped it in for a 24-105mm L as I really wanted the extra width, I still get tempted when ever one comes up in the classifieds! If you want something cheap and temporary consider the ancient Canon 28-75mm f3.5-4.5 II can be had for peanuts so you won't loose anything more than a few quid when you sell it on and stopped down it is an excellent piece of kit! I'm on the look out for one as my 24-105mm is in need of repair!

Back