Critique Roseberry Topping Sunset

You need to work on balancing your exposure of sky to land as all the land portion of the images are massively under exposed

When faced with a very bright sky I often reach for my filters to help hold the sky back a bit or look towards bracketing and HDR or a combination of all three!

You need to work on balancing your exposure of sky to land as all the land portion of the images are massively under exposed

When faced with a very bright sky I often reach for my filters to help hold the sky back a bit or look towards bracketing and HDR or a combination of all three!
Agree with Nick. probably find that filters would also bring out a bit more detail in the sky.

Hi Chris,

I thought I'd have a quick play with image #2 in Lightroom, to illustrate what the others have already suggested. I increased the overall exposure by 2.86 stops, then used the adjustment brush darken the sky by 2.5 stops. Finally I added +14 vibrance, +5 saturation and a grad filter over the foreground with 36 clarity (I'm happy to explain if any of that doesn't make sense!) Here's what I ended up with:

View attachment 28113

Now that we can see the foreground, I think there's actually quite a nice image here. The rocks are interesting, the wall gives a good lead in line to the focal point of the hill and I like the soft hazy feel to the sunset.

However, the adjustments required were a bit too drastic, and there's an awful lot of noise and lost detail in the brightened up sections. As the guys have said though, have another go using HDR or filters and it should come out very nicely.

Hi andrew thanks a lot think I'll have a download of light room tonight and a play as well to see if I can get the results similar to yours to be honest I'm not the best with the post processing! If I get stuck with any of the technical elements ill let you know and I think I'll have another crack at the image at the weekend with hdr and a filter if I can get one delivered in time!! Thanks a lot!!

Some good advice here....although the edit's taken too far IMO.

Back