Roses

Name
Rob Miller
Edit My Images
No
This weekend is Roses, the annual sports tournament between Lancaster and York that's a slightly friendlier version of the Wars of the Roses (but only slightly).

My first time shooting sports, so I've had to learn on my feet, but here goes:

20080427-0071_sized.jpg

The rowers' expressions say it all as Lancaster University's men's novice 4 rowing crew finish just two feet ahead of the University of York's.

20080501-0576_sized.jpg

An Ultimate Frisbee player from the University of York rises above a Lancaster University defender to score a goal.

20080502-1068_sized.jpg

A member of Lancaster University's karate club performs "kata", the discipline of karate in which choreographed sequences of movements are performed and judged.

20080502-0903_sized.jpg

A member of Lancaster University's Rugby Union 7s team sprints down the touchline to score a try against the University of York.

20080502-0722_sized.jpg

A Lancaster University Ultimate Frisbee player (foreground) rises high above his University of York marker in order to capture a long pass.

Critique very much appreciated, especially since I've got two days of events left!

Ahhh Frisbee - my sport :D!!! I have a personal interest in those ones :D

The last shot is great - beautifully timed!

Like the rowing shot as well!

Nice set if these are first time at sports!

Yup. I shoot for my student paper but never for the sports section—but when Roses rolls around it's sort of all hands on deck, and we really don't have that many hands so I'm in at the deep end. Ah well, it's loads of fun :)

Some from today:

20080503-1454_sized.jpg

A University of York hockey player tackles a Lancaster University player during the two universities' mixed 2nds hockey match. Lancaster won the game 2-0.

20080503-1289_sized.jpg

A member of Lancaster University's lacrosse team looks disappointed at half time during his team match against York University. Lancaster went on to lose 16-2.

20080503-1880_sized.jpg

Lancaster University men's first rugby union team is denied a try in their game against the University of York. The match finished 10-10.

Sunday finally got round to my sport... football <3

20080504-1954_sized.jpg

Members of Lancaster University’s archery team compete against the University of York during Roses.

20080504-1980_sized.jpg

Torri Crapper of Lancaster University prepares to hit a long ball during her team’s match against the University of York.
(What a name!)

20080504-2353_sized.jpg

A Lancaster University men’s firsts football player fouls a University of York player, giving away a penalty which York scored to bring the game to 1-1. The match finished 4-1 to Lancaster.

20080504-2079_sized.jpg

A member of Lancaster University’s men’s seconds football team takes a free kick during his side’s 2-0 victory over the University of York.

20080504-2235_sized.jpg

The captain of Lancaster University’s women’s football team calls for a substitution following an injury to one of her team during their match against the University of York.

That's it, by the way! I think I did ok given that it was my first time shooting sports, and I think I've learned a lot (I can even see a qualitative progression, albeit a small one, from Friday to Sunday). Now I want more :D

Back