Ross 52 for 2018 Thread 'Week 31 - Short'

Cooking

I like the green colour running though the photo, the composition is good and dof, also the knife cutting through from bottom left to top right.

Week 31 - Short

Found this relatively hard this week. Took one shot while I was out which fitted the theme. I was trying to get out of my comfort zone and photograph people which I hate doing but was vaguely happy with this one.

Sort2 lowres.jpg

The shot from the main page and my main submission I took in my living room. Mainly natural light and my phone light as I don't own any flashes (so excuse the lighting. I did the best I could).

Short Lowres.jpg

Ps. No scotch was wasted in the taking of this photo.

As usual there are higher resolution shots on Flickr Here and Here.

Thanks for looking.

I think I prefer the first one with the short person, she certainly caught you taking a sly picture which sort of makes it for me.

The second one the whiskey is well lit in the glass but the rest of the image is not so well lit, though I have to say a very difficult subject to light with all that glass.

Mmmmmm Whisky!

Bit of a short measure though :)

Hi Ross, Not been on for a long time, so just starting to do a bit of commenting! I really like the rural image, looks as if it would be a peaceful spot to sit and watch the world go by. Not sure about the fisheye ones but I do like the 3rd one with the columns. Love your home shot, he looks so blissful. The London eye shot is excellent, works well in B&W, I guess there were lots of different colours in the original which could have made it a bit messy. If you want to upload them from flickr - at the bottom of the image on flickr there is an arrow, it you click on this it will give you a code which you just copy and paste into your post :D

Hi Ross,
The bit of street is quite fun, especially as you were 'spotted' ;)
But I do like the thought and work put into the glasses shot. A
Glass is always difficult, and I think you've done a good job with this.
Lighting doesn't have to been speedlights / studio lights, use whatever you feel / need to get the effect you want. I know I've used various different light sources over my time doing the 52.

I like the street shot, I tried for something similar myself but didn't get anything as good as yours. I don't think #2 needs the tall glasses really, and getting them further from the background would allow that to be more OOF

Short, think you have handled the lighting very well for something that is difficult to get acceptable, bang on theme like the composition with the tall glasses and the short one, maybe a whiskey with a darker colour would work even better, quite prepared to help with any experimentation!;)

Might I suggest a Blair Atholl single malt matured in sherry cask's Mr Anderson:)

Last edited:
Hi Ross

Cooking - Nice image Out of focus behind knife works well, like the simple colour combinations, only nitpick is the label on the knife blade.

Short - good for getting out of your comfort zone. Looks like you need to buy a tilt shift lens with those buildings, I did try the perspective tool in PS but I could not get it right, just for my own education. Maybe getting the buildings on the right a bit more vertical would help and sod the pavement.

Short Glasses, a very short measure indeed. I like the lighting, maybe not so tight a crop would improve the image.

Back