Ross 52 for 2018 Thread 'Week 31 - Short'

Ross

You must have a hard arse to ride that, no suspenion, so fits the theme.
I think it's just as well you explained about the bike, so the Image fits the explaination well.

The second cropped image is better as an Image and is more obvious.

Pete
Well.... I have suspension on the front. Oh and its got no gears either. Just a single speed. Its cheating to have gears and lots of suspension. [emoji6]

Aye the crop works well :)

Match - I like that love the reflection of the women on the phone it adds a little more interest to the image.

Music - Nice take on the theme prefer the second one as I find the microphone in the first a little dark and lost

Hard - Crop for me

I prefer the cropped version, I don't mind a bit of blurriness in the foreground, but more than a third of the frame is a bit too much for me... The cropped one has a more pleasant composition.

Week 22 - Creature

2 for this week. Not my best week. Lots of trips out with the camera but for some reason, just not feeling it.

First one is a flower I found with these 2 guys chilling inside. Its quite a heavy crop, close focused and could probably have done with more DOF, but I like the picture. Flickr like here.

Creature lowres.jpg

The second is Ron. He's a weird creature so thought he'd fit right in. Again, not my finest but he's cool. Flickr link here.

Ron Creature lowres.jpg

Think the focus could be slightly off in both but hey, s*** happens. And they both look better on Flickr. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
The focus looks fine on the dog to me I think eye contact is perhaps what’s missing great name for a dog and a bandana too what’s not to like, I like the DoF in the first one too, creatures are frustrating to photograph I have about 10 pictures of empty leaves

The focus looks fine on the dog to me I think eye contact is perhaps what’s missing great name for a dog and a bandana too what’s not to like, I like the DoF in the first one too, creatures are frustrating to photograph I have about 10 pictures of empty leaves
Yea. I took hundreds of pictures that consisted of mainly leaves and oof petals and flowers. Oh and the odd smudge that could be an insect.

Ron was Ron when we got him from battersea dogs home so we kept the name. He is super food orientated so hes looking at the treat im holding. I lijed this one coz his tongues out.

Thanks for the comment.

I like the dog, sharp on the whiskers but maybe the dof is a bit shallow.

On your take for creature, imo I do think both shots could of been better. The dreaded both are on theme, But the bee colour does not look right on my screen even though it is nice to look at. Ron I have to say is the better of the two like that he is sticking his tongue out, but I have seen better shots from you on Ron so maybe try to get lower at eye level.

On your take for creature, imo I do think both shots could of been better. The dreaded both are on theme, But the bee colour does not look right on my screen even though it is nice to look at. Ron I have to say is the better of the two like that he is sticking his tongue out, but I have seen better shots from you on Ron so maybe try to get lower at eye level.
Thanks for the critique. Lol. I do agree with the eye level thing. It was hard as i was holding the treat up and the camera in one hand down low hoping it was focusing in the right place.

The bug one there is a lot of reflected light from the petals on the bees. So if i boost the sat or vibrance they get a pinkish hue to them which is annoying.

I must say this was not my best week. I took a shot of ron in the week before creature with a new fish eye which i really like but wasn't taken in the right week annoyingly.

Thanks

Last edited:
Your dog is lovely but as you say it does look a little soft, that said I'm not sure it is a focus issue because it looks reasonably sharp in parts

Creature -- Do I detect a little bit of camera shake? Lovely looking dog and such a cute name -- a dog for later(ron) geddit? :)

That is one cute pooch :)

Hi Ross
I actually really like the second music shot as it has more going to explain the image
Hard - yeah, shoehorn really, but we all have weeks like that - at least the camera got used.....

Week 23 - Synthetic

Found this guy flying around. Conveniently he landed right in front of me on a definitely real log. I mean, I'm not sure how this could be synthetic. Synthetic means 'to imitate something natural', because I'm nearly 100% sure this isn't fake......

Synthetic lowres.jpg

Better quality on Flickr as usual.

Thanks for looking.

Nice placky budgie :)

A little catch-up on your most recent images, Ross, as I fell behind for a few weeks.

I have already 'liked' your image for Match on Flickr as I do really like the low, symmetrical viewpoint and the bold colours, as well as the way you have excluded your reflection from the top half of the image but included the lady engrossed in reading her phone. It works very well (y)
I also like both images for Music and enjoyed reading about the challenges you faced as well as your thought process about both shots. I do prefer the tight close-up details of #1 but the wider view of #2 is interesting and shows your working environment and hints at the lack of space too.
For Hard, I like the environmental feel of the first image but feel the cropped version is the more obvious fit for the theme. I like the shallow DOF drawing the eye straight to the wording but including enough detail of the trees in the background and the muddy tyres.
Creatures - I like the smooth OOF background and lovely colours in the first one, and the cute doggy with sticky-out tongue and bandana in the second. Is Ron a new addition? I remember you lost an older dog recently. I can see there has already been discussion about focus/softness and they do both look a little off, but pleasing nonetheless.
You nailed the focus in your latest one though and it's perfect for the Synthetic theme. Good original idea, colourful and detailed, and stands out well against an undistracting BG (y)

Really like the composition for synthetic, the hedge/tree/sky background really works well to emphasise the "realistic" nature or the obviously completely natural hawk

Ross

Creatures, 1st is difficult to see what is going on, glad you said there are 2 inside the flower. Not sure what is in sharp focus, maybe shaking.
2nd Nice picture of Ron, cute dog, better of the 2 but focus is not as sharp as it could be on Ron.

Synthectic, What can I say, it's on theme and very slightly amusing. I think you did well to get so close and get good focus on him.

Pete

I like it, can’t really say anymore there’s just something about it

Oddly This says 'park' rather than rural to me, perhaps because it is constrained and focused on the chair?
Maybe the bare earth in front of the chair...

Nicely captured. The gradient of blues in the sky is lovely and with the lighting talks of a hot summers day. (y)

Fantastic bench .. looks like railway sleepers or something. All a bit blurry but I love the horizon. (y)

I agree allan, there's something about the shot that just says yes to me. I really like it Ross

Week 25 - Bright

Took a few this week with the sun being the bright point in all of them (original i know).

I wanted to try out a new lens this week hence them all being fish eye shots. I know they won't be to everyones taste but.... hey ho.

Was holding out for a perfect shot, but not sure i got one so these are the best I could come up with.

Here they are:

Bright 1 lowres.jpg

Bright 2 lowres.jpg

Bright 3 lowres.jpg

Bright 4 lowres.jpg

A link to my 52 where these are in higher quality here.

Gonna catch up with comments in the morning.

Thanks for looking.

I do like the third one I think the distortion works well on that one, that’s not going to be a lens you can use a lot though I wouldn’t have thought

I do like the third one I think the distortion works well on that one, that’s not going to be a lens you can use a lot though I wouldn’t have thought
No. Its definitly not a day to day walk about lens but ive always been drawn to superwide lenses, so thought id get one of these just for a bit of fun when the mood takes me. Though im not sure that this weeks elegant theme is going to benefit from the fisheye treatment.

Back