Rotolight AEOS 2 / Anova Pro 2 - Thoughts, experiences?

JohnBradbury

A jolly good egg!
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all,
I'm looking to play a little more with lighting, an area of photography I haven't done much in. Ideally I want a single set-up for both video and photography LED is looking like the way to go.

I know next to nothing about lighting so I'm looking for some advice before jumping in and buying anything.

Can LEDs cut it for photography?

Good quality LEDs can cut it for photography, but they’re more trouble than they’re worth (for me) which is oddly the opposite of how it appears to the uninitiated .

Do bear in mind that the majority of people being paid to shoot with these things are really snake oil salesmen. There’s a history of them blocking anyone who dares question their claims.

For the same budget, I’d buy cheap continuous for video and some flash gear.

For stills, flash is just better at everything - bigger, brighter, cheaper, less cumbersome, more versatile, and with more control. But it's obviously no use for video, which is where LEDs come in. Unless it's just small, static table-top stuff for ebay I wouldn't give LEDs house room. You need both.

If you didn't know, decent quality studio heads start around £100 and then you're into a proper lighting system. They have bright modelling bulbs so you can see exactly what you're doing. Battery powered heads are now commonplace and some can match main-powered on every count, except price ;)

Quite a few threads on starting out with lighting if you scroll down the forum. Get stuck in - it will transform your picture taking (y)

Forget it, I mis read.

Last edited:
Back