Round eyecup for square eyepiece Nikon

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
Yes
I decided i needed an eyecup for my D600 and D7000. Well all the standard ones are teardrop shaped which to my way of thinking are OK horizontally but vertically a bit stupid. I looked at the DK-22, DK-3, FM eyepiece route, apart from being expensive the DK-22 is only plastic and reports of it breaking are common. Then I found a company in the USA called Bocaphoto which does one, so I've got 2 on their way postage 8 dollars something, not too bad. Olympus do an EYECUP 1 for OM available on ebay for £12.95 that looks the same anybody tried it?

Geoff thanks for the source (Bocaphoto) as I've tried the teardrop one but it wasn't very comfortable and even though I paid £12 thinking it would be better made it was very rigid and cheap feeling but it was broken on arrival so had refund (Amazon). And I've been looking since for my D7000.

Geoff would appreciate that and I'll hang back until then.

I bought an eyepiece for my D4 just a few days ago.
Its the DK-19 from Calumet, cost £7.99. I have one on my other camera too which is a D700 so would guess its likely to fit you models too.

I bought an eyepiece for my D4 just a few days ago.
Its the DK-19 from Calumet, cost £7.99. I have one on my other camera too which is a D700 so would guess its likely to fit you models too.
No Iain they wont fit, they are round and the D600 is square

The dk22 and dk3 route does work. Sort of.
One thing that really put me off the d750 was the lack of a round eyepiece. I used a dk19 on my d700.
So in preparation for the d750, I ordered the dk22 and 3 combo. One does not screw fit to the other, so I had to glue the eyecup to the dk22.
I tried it on my d750 when it arrived, but haven't really felt the need to use it. To be fair, you still end up looking through a rectangular hole anyway. May give it a go again. But not the deal breaker I was expecting!

i find that square viewfinders are harder to clean - my old d700 had a round one as does my fm2 film camera - easy to clean but the d610 was not good at all - a strange curved surface does not help

Nikon should put round viewfinders on everything apart from entry level stuff (3000 5000 series). They can't seem to do anything right just now.

Still waiting for these to arrive, bit slow. Does anybody fancy buying the Olympus one see if it fits

I've found that the DK-21 eye piece on my D7100 is really loose and doesn't seem to sit in place properly so it keeps coming off. It looks like the eyepiece is too big for it to sit in the molded space for it so I'm looking for a solution... watching with interest! :)

I've found that the DK-21 eye piece on my D7100 is really loose and doesn't seem to sit in place properly so it keeps coming off. It looks like the eyepiece is too big for it to sit in the molded space for it so I'm looking for a solution... watching with interest! :)
I had this problem. The issue was due to me accidentally swapping the eye piece on d7100 and d7000. On checking the manual the two cameras used different eye piece models. The two were slightly different in that the d7000 piece didn't fit the d7100 but the d7100 eye piece was fine on the d7000. I had to buy the right eye piece again for the d7100 as I sold on the d7000!

Edit: Just checked DK-21 is the one for the d7000 and DK-23 is the one for the d7100. All info taken from WEX.

The round viewfinder is nice on the d800, I like the viewfinder shutter as it's so easy to use but a right angle viewfinder is a pain to fit on a round viewfinder compared to the rectangular viewfinder of the d6** and d7*** series.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Geoff - can I ask the exact model number as it will be for my Nikon D7000 :)

How easy was this to fit?

Thinking of getting one for my D90 (according to them the EC-1 should fit)

How easy was this to fit?

Thinking of getting one for my D90 (according to them the EC-1 should fit)

Dead easy just pushes on,. I thought all modem nikons were all the same size but other posters suggest not.

Dead easy just pushes on,. I thought all modem nikons were all the same size but other posters suggest not.
On the d7100 there is a slight raised area on the bottom edge hence why the d7000 dk-21 viewfinder doesn't fit the d7100 but it does the other way around (d7100 dk-23 fits the d7000). When we say doesn't fit we mean it fits but doesn't lock into place so it can fall off easily.

On the d7100 there is a slight raised area on the bottom edge hence why the d7000 dk-21 viewfinder doesn't fit the d7100 but it does the other way around (d7100 dk-23 fits the d7000). When we say doesn't fit we mean it fits but doesn't lock into place so it can fall off easily.

Exactly this. Ordered the dk-23 and it fits perfectly now. The above circle jobby looks really smart. Let us know how you get on with it!

Well the one on my D7000 lasted 2 weeks, I looked down and it was gone. So obviously they wont stay on, I got the one on my D600 secured with a cable tie now, not very elegant. You could try a spot of glue.

Back