Router recommendation

Name
Sye
Edit My Images
Yes
Im trying to upgrade the tech in my home.

Currently using an oldish BT router but it keeps dropping out......always has to be honest.

The range is also appaling.

Im fairly clueless so if you guys could recommend some good (but not eye wateringly expensive) upgrade options it would be appreciated.

I can then further my research.

Thanks in advance.

Its a 2 up 2 down......not big.

My son plays on his x box up in his room and we use the usual hypno devices for trawling mindless social media.

I also stream tv via ethernet.

Im trying to upgrade the tech in my home.

Currently using an oldish BT router but it keeps dropping out......always has to be honest.

The range is also appaling.

Im fairly clueless so if you guys could recommend some good (but not eye wateringly expensive) upgrade options it would be appreciated.

I can then further my research.

Thanks in advance.

FWIW i use a Billion brand router, this being ADSL and it holds on a long line approx 5 miles. My model as I recall is the 7800DXL. WiFi wise it is dual band and I can get a usable signal approx 70 feet away outside the house .

A signal in the garden would feel like a luxury.

This house is chalet style, the router is in the front of the house upstairs and the garden location I mentioned is the hardstanding for the car and that is at the back of the house. So the house,so to speak, is in the way.

depending on the positioning of the router (i.e. not central within the house) also and the material used within the walls, for an average 2 bed I'd certainly look at something like the 2 node Google WiFi above, or the TP-Link Deco if you want more nodes. I use the later in a 1930s 3 bed and it covers with no dead spots, put the VM router into Modem mode and off you go.

its all well and good having a single powerful router but your devices need to be able to broadcast back, if they don't have the power to do so you're back to square one.

Last edited:
I always use Draytek both at home and at work. Wifi range is impressive out of the box. If for any reason it's not good enough, you can buy booster aerials, which work really well. I'm currently using a Vigor2830 on the standard aerials and my phone happily connects inside my car 100 yards down the street.

Last edited:
When I decided to retire my superhub into modem duties I almost bought a draytek.

Got a last minute deal on a Linksys however which has proved to be super stable compared to the superhub and has increased the range to the point where we can now get a strong 2.4g signal in the back garden.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back