Royal Air Force Aircraft

Very nice Dave. (y) Number one shines out amongst the set. You're doing very well, if you have only been doing it for a year. :)

Kev.

Thanks Kev. First was an overshoot RAF Lossiemouth, 2nd finals RAF Leuchars and 3rd run in and break RAF Coningsby. Have just taken delivery of a 7D another steep and completely new learning curve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shots, # 1 stands out for me from these 3. A different shot from the usual I get (well try to get anyhow) :)

Hope your new 7D goes well

Love the first one! Need to get to an RAF base at some point. Last time I went to the Mach loop nothing went through :(

Thanks Mark. I've never been to the Mach loop but have see some fabulous shots taken from there. One day! Maybe try 'Tebay' some time this year, it's a couple of hours drive for me.

I like all of these, although no 3 could do with a slightly tighter crop.
What lens are you using?

Lossiemouth is superb for photography, and will become even more interesting this year as the Leuchars Typhoons begin to move up.

Thanks Kev. First was an overshoot RAF Lossiemouth, 2nd finals RAF Leuchars and 3rd run in and break RAF Coningsby. Have just taken delivery of a 7D another steep and completely new learning curve.

Really nice shots, I like the GR4 in reheat. I'm not convinced that number 3 shows a run in and break though, possibly a normal circuit upwind turn or perhaps moving to the dead-side after an overshoot.

Regards,

Cheesy

Last edited:
i cant say im overly keen on the third image, but i love the 2nd one, and the first is just phenomenal!!

Thanks Mark. I've never been to the Mach loop but have see some fabulous shots taken from there. One day! Maybe try 'Tebay' some time this year, it's a couple of hours drive for me.
I've never heard of Tebay before but I'm guessing that's up by the lakes. Somewhere else on my list of places to visit!

I've only managed to get down there a couple of times as it's quite a way for me. First time I was there was much more interesting though with a couple of Tornados and C130. Would love to see an F15 go through. Maybe another time!

I like all of these, although no 3 could do with a slightly tighter crop.
What lens are you using?

Lossiemouth is superb for photography, and will become even more interesting this year as the Leuchars Typhoons begin to move up.

The lens used was a Sigma 150-500mm (No. 1 was 1/1000 at f6.3 - 493mm, ISO 200).

Andy, unfortunately for me Lossie is about a 5 hours or so drive, so not just a hop whereas Leuchars is just 2 hours and much easier as my wife likes St. Andrews.

I went up twice last year for the Aircraft Enthusiasts days during JW 12-1 and the CQWI course and have plans to head back up this year. Absolutely fantastic time provided by the RAF, couldn't have asked for any more (well, except a ride in a vacant back seat and I got my wish - the back seat of the coach..)

Really nice shots, I like the GR4 in reheat. I'm not convinced that number 3 shows a run in and break though, possibly a normal circuit upwind turn or perhaps moving to the dead-side after an overshoot.

Paul you will be correct, it was my mistake. Was it "...moving to the dead-side after an overshoot?" I think this was the second of a 2 ship, the first had landed but hadn't vacated and the second which was now on finals pulled up left downwind turn, as the first still wasn't clear or was using full runway. I find the run in and break brilliant to watch, the pilot's coordination amazes me how with the speed of approach, the aircraft is steeply banked and slowed sufficiently using the airbrake and power onto the reciprocal downwind leg parallel with the runway. Maybe it's down to the QFI instruction!! The last 4 ship run in and brake I watched at Leuchars was spectacular, the timing from brake to each landing was absolutely impeccable.

Thanks, very much appreciate your knowledge; I am a subscriber of your flickr Paul, a privilege to watch your videos / view your photos. Advice always welcomed.

I've never heard of Tebay before but I'm guessing that's up by the lakes. Somewhere else on my list of places to visit!

Mark, "Tebay" is south of Penrith, Cumbria just off the M6.

Much appreciated to all for the comments, thank you!

Great shots !!! Are you sure you've only been at it a year? You should be very pleased with your work.

George. ( Ex Flyboy)

Hey,

Fantastic shots, #1 is the best of the lot for me :D

First shot for me as well. Good luck with the 7D I found it a very good camera

duplicate

Great shots !!! Are you sure you've only been at it a year? You should be very pleased with your work.

George. ( Ex Flyboy)

Yes, started photography during Dec 2011 when I bought my 550D / Sigma 150-500 / Sigma 70-300 IS. Thanks for the compliment George.

Thanks all for the positive comments. Advice always welcomed, always learning. 7D is a much steeper learning curve though :eek::help::LOL:

Number one for me, nice one.......:)

Back