Royal Mail/Cameras/Lithium Batteries.

Edit My Images
Yes
OK, so I've read the blurb about sending lithium batteries through the post.

I live in a small village and the post mistress knows me, when I hand her a parcel her first words are....'WOTS-IN-IT'

If it's a camera with a lithium battery in the package I'm forced to tell a fib, because I get the impression she would refuse to accept it.

Other menbers take on the subject would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Tell her to bog off it's none of he business what's in your parcels.

Thanks, very helpful

Well, I know if some busybody asked me what I was sending/receiving in the Post, what my answer would be. Slightly less polite than bog off I can assure you.

Tell her to bog off it's none of he business what's in your parcels.
Well, I know if some busybody asked me what I was sending/receiving in the Post, what my answer would be. Slightly less polite than bog off I can assure you.

Well if you then have to claim on the insurance they will probably tell you to bog off too. I guess at least as you can send them connected to devices you can attach one to the charger as well as the body. It does seem ridiculous though.

Well if you then have to claim on the insurance they will probably tell you to bog off too. I guess at least as you can send them connected to devices you can attach one to the charger as well as the body. It does seem ridiculous though.

Yes, that makes sense, what about the lithium warning label, should one of those go on the parcel?

Yes, that makes sense, what about the lithium warning label, should one of those go on the parcel?

They haven't put one on at the post office either time I sent a camera iifc. Anyway, they will do that for you if needs be

A mate of mine recently tried to post a webcam, when asked "what's in the parcel" he said a webcam, "we don't take cameras" was the reply.

Well he obviously went to the post office where stupid people work

Iirc it was only unprotected/loose Li-on batteries that they have banned. Anything in original packaging or in the equipment/device its designed for should be OK.

I got a phone battery sent after a month of telling vodafone i'm not sending my phone away just to change the battery I could change myself (samsung)
Finally one came in the post

It came in a little bag in an A3 size bag !

If you have read the official Royal Mail blurb then you have no worries about what she will say as you are sending a 'legal' parcel --> http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Restricted-Goods

I always get asked what is in the parcel and they have the right to ask so telling them to bog off is not going to help the situation.

Pish. I send stuff by RM all the time Recorded, Special Delivery, Registered Air Mail etc etc and have never once been asked what the packages contain. I'm asked for the value for the insurance but never the content. If I was I'd give the answer I stated and if they're not happy I'd take my custom elsewhere. The end.

Lithium ion/polymer batteries sent in isolation are prohibited. Please see www.royalmail.com/prohibitedgoods
Restricted item*
Batteries - lithium ion/polymer batteries sent with, but not connected to, an electronic device
Detailed information
The maximum number of batteries allowed in each package is the number that may be connected to the equipment plus two spares. The maximum net quantity of cells or batteries is 5kg per package. Watt-hour rating must not exceed 20Wh per cell or 100Wh per battery. Each cell and battery must be of a type proven to meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, section 38.3. Batteries are subject to these tests irrespective of whether the cells of which they are composed have been so tested.
Cells and batteries must be manufactured under a quality management programme as specified in the International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air. Cells or batteries that are defective for safety reasons, or that have been damaged, are forbidden. Any person preparing or offering cells or batteries with or in equipment for transport must receive adequate instruction on the requirements commensurate with their responsibilities. The consignment must be accompanied with a document with an indication that the package contains lithium ion cells or batteries; that the package must be handled with care and that a flammability hazard exists if the package is damaged; that special procedures must be followed in the event the package is damaged, to include inspection and repacking if necessary; and also a telephone number for additional information.
Cells and batteries must be packed in inner packagings that completely enclose the cell or battery. Cells and batteries must be protected against short circuit, including protection against contact with conductive materials within the same packaging that could lead to a short circuit. The equipment sent with cells or batteries must be packed in strong rigid packaging and must be secured against movement within the outer packaging and packed to prevent accidental activation.
Lithium battery handling label to be applied ( see an example lithium battery label ). The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

That seems to have changed then.
Also a failure to disclose may render the batteries and equipment being 'disposed of'.

I only get asked is how I want it sent, ie recorded etc and if it has any value and that is all they need to know. Bit like going to a Dr's and the receptionest asking what is wrong with you? If I knew I would not need to go to the Dr's o_O

I sent a camera off yesterday by Royal Mail Special Delivery. I was asked if there was a battery in the box?

I replied there is, is that a problem ?

The answer was no, we just need to put a bar code and scan it - health and safety reasons !

They were quite helpful, my parcel weighed just over 2kg so it could have cost me £25 but they let it go for just 2kg - £11 which was a result.

Pish. I send stuff by RM all the time Recorded, Special Delivery, Registered Air Mail etc etc and have never once been asked what the packages contain. I'm asked for the value for the insurance but never the content. If I was I'd give the answer I stated and if they're not happy I'd take my custom elsewhere. The end.

cutting off nose to spite face springs to mind.

cutting off nose to spite face springs to mind.
Nonsense. There's plenty other courier services willing to do the job, several just as well if not better at times than RM.

it's pretty obvious and clear on the new rules. just connect up the battery and you're fine.

telling people to bog off isn't a solution.

No dramas whatsoever with Royal Mail, I for one would rather support their business than use anyone else. If they want to record the fact that there is battery in the package I don't have a problem with that. It doesn't effect cost or the delivery. As I said in my earlier post. I had a positive experience at my local Post Office.

I remember when the milkman used to deliver milk to your doorstep in the mornings. Sadly Post Offices are shutting down in villages and towns all over the country. Let's hope they don't disappear all together.....

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

I am asked nowadays every time i sent something,i was told its ok to sent a camera thought the post with a battery + you can also sent a spares if they are in the camera box ?,the problem seem if you are just sending batteries by themselves :)

They usually ask if there is anything prohibited in the box for me especially if going by airmail. They usually have leaflets in the PO for prohibited items. Most of the restrictions are not Royal Mails but either the CAA, Dept Transport or Maritime & Coastguard agency and most of the them relate to what you can or cannot post via air. RM send most of their post via air even within the UK.

Steve

As long as the battery is probably packaged ideally in its original packaging its not an issue. I suspect if you said there's a couple of batteries floating around in the box somewhere it might. Why give cause for concern?

Like most things in life, the application of common sense, curtesy and politeness will get you the desired result.

Generally, people do not respond well from moronic quotes such as 'bog off' it endures you to know one and seldom gets you anywhere.

As long as the battery is probably packaged ideally in its original packaging its not an issue. I suspect if you said there's a couple of batteries floating around in the box somewhere it might. Why give cause for concern?

Like most things in life, the application of common sense, curtesy and politeness will get you the desired result.

Generally, people do not respond well from moronic quotes such as 'bog off' it endures you to know one and seldom gets you anywhere.

Well you would hope so but a post office staffers was quite shirty with me the other day saying there is no way I can send a battery not connected to a device so common sense did not prevail in that case. I had to open it up, take the spares out, reseal and then order some spares off eBay for the buyer. Not pleased

Well you would hope so but a post office staffers was quite shirty with me the other day saying there is no way I can send a battery not connected to a device so common sense did not prevail in that case. I had to open it up, take the spares out, reseal and then order some spares off eBay for the buyer. Not pleased
It happened to me too. My son who was stationed in germany at the time bought a Galaxy S3 in UK and asked me to BFPO it to him. The counter clerk in my PO refused to send it unless I opened it up and fit the battery :(

Steve

Nonsense. There's plenty other courier services willing to do the job, several just as well if not better at times than RM.

Up to you if you would rather use someone else just because someone asks you what you are sending (wonder what dodgy items you don't want to tell people about?) but for me I like the Royal Mail as they have hundreds of places to take the parcel to and I don't care what they charge as I charge the buyers what it costs me.

And I would much rather receive from Royal Mail as I know I will get the package (and if not in it will be taken to the collection office unlike the merry go round of finding what the hell happened to a Yodel, UKmail, UPS etc,. delivered package)

Up to you if you would rather use someone else just because someone asks you what you are sending (wonder what dodgy items you don't want to tell people about?) but for me I like the Royal Mail as they have hundreds of places to take the parcel to and I don't care what they charge as I charge the buyers what it costs me.

And I would much rather receive from Royal Mail as I know I will get the package (and if not in it will be taken to the collection office unlike the merry go round of finding what the hell happened to a Yodel, UKmail, UPS etc,. delivered package)

Dodgy packages? ? WTF do you think I am some kind of criminal? What I send and receive has bog all to do with RM, the likes of you or any other nosey parker. And yeah it is all legal and above board for what it's worth:rolleyes:

When labelled correctly and to do that, the Post Office need to know what's in the package.

When labelled correctly and to do that, the Post Office need to know what's in the package.
So why have I never once been asked having used numerous RM offices?

Totally forget Royal Mail, one of the worst parcel delivery services available. We often expect a parcel on a certain day (tracked) and it turns up 1 or 2 days later and invariably Royal Mail is the culprit. Just because we live not that far into the countryside should not mean the lazy postal people have a reason not to deliver. One private delivery service actually tracks where the delivery van is and one can access the map on a home computer, now THAT IS SERVICE. The problem with Royal Mail is its top heavy in management,so much so that one department has not got a clue what another is doing.

AVOID ROYAL MAIL IF POSSIBLE THEY ARE NEXT TO USELESS

Totally forget Royal Mail, one of the worst parcel delivery services available. We often expect a parcel on a certain day (tracked) and it turns up 1 or 2 days later and invariably Royal Mail is the culprit. Just because we live not that far into the countryside should not mean the lazy postal people have a reason not to deliver. One private delivery service actually tracks where the delivery van is and one can access the map on a home computer, now THAT IS SERVICE. The problem with Royal Mail is its top heavy in management,so much so that one department has not got a clue what another is doing.

I could not agree more.

I've posted off two cameras in the last 2 days using RM. Each time I was asked what the packages contained. It's not a problem to me telling them. No mention was made of lithium batteries etc. When I enquired why they wanted to know what was in them I was told for insurance purposes ie: was I happy sending them using a particular postage class relevant to the items value.

Doesn't seem an issue to me.

Oh. Almost forgot. I didn't tell them to bog off either.

Camera battery arrived today with royal mail, nothing on the packaging to say there was a lithium battery within, amazon are either chanceing their arm or the policy has changed, my last battery from them came with Hermes with battery stickers all over.

Everybodies mileage varys but personally I have never had a 1pm SD not arrive before 1pm on the day its meant to. Also my wife sells vintage ceramics on eBay probably sent over 2000 parcels in the last 4 years and not one has gone missing and with less than a handful arriving broken. Personally I cant fault the service and find it far superior to any of the couriers.

Steve

Every time I send something in the post office I get asked "What's in the parcel'

I always feel its some kind of invasion of privacy.... Ha.... remember the good old days when we actually had privacy. :(

Back