Royal Welsh Show 2013

Name
Natasha
Edit My Images
No
As my first post I'd like to show you guys my area of photography that really burns a passion for me. Equestrian photography. Being a rider myself I think I appreciate a good equine photo as I know what I would want on my wall (I'm sure lots of you agree within your own specialities). I am also a equine event photographer at The David Broome Event Centre but unfortunately cannot post any of my photographs from there as Showground Photography hold the copyright.
Here is some of my more recent photography from the Royal Welsh Show this year.
No photographs have been edited in any way, shape or form.

SimplyE said:
No photographs have been edited in any way, shape or form.

That's a big mistake I'm afraid. All of those photos need levelling and cropping, and would benefit from some added work on the colours and contrast.

You'd also be better off shooting slightly looser to avoid the problems that you've given yourself in #2, 4, 5 and 6.

Shooting for portfolio/editorial/commission is completely different from shooting for events. You aren't trying to take a shot for instant sale, but show off your best work and potential! :)

Thanks for that.
As I'm used to photographing for events, I'm used to having to provide shots that are for instant sale, so don't tend to mess around with colours or cropping etc.

If your pictures didn't need editing, I wouldn't have suggested it.

:plus1: Sorry Natasha as I do not want to appear rude, but are you saying you would have sold images just like these? The horse in#2 is oof and a couple of the others could have been cropped much better imo.

Thanks for that.
As I'm used to photographing for events, I'm used to having to provide shots that are for instant sale, so don't tend to mess around with colours or cropping etc.

You have posted these pictures to a forum of photograpers for critique and advice... that is totally different to working an event and selling pictures straight out of the box...

All the pictures are pretty poor to other photographers but probably sell well at an event..

they can be much better with a little processing as already suggested. especialy the straighten and crop..

PS theres nothing clever or good about pictures with no processing.. nobody will be impressed just because you havent editied.. quite the opposite I am afraid :)

You have posted these pictures to a forum of photograpers for critique and advice... that is totally different to working an event and selling pictures straight out of the box...

All the pictures are pretty poor to other photographers but probably sell well at an event..

they can be much better with a little processing as already suggested. especialy the straighten and crop..

PS theres nothing clever or good about pictures with no processing.. nobody will be impressed just because you havent editied.. quite the opposite I am afraid :)

Yes I understand that and I'm not saying I don't appreciate the advice because I do :)
I'm just saying that I'm not used to editing photos and that's why I haven't done so this time.
The photos that we take at the show ground where I work go straight on to the system as is, obviously when people come into the printing studio photographs can be cropped and brightness, contrast etc edited if the customer wishes, but the company takes soooo many photographs per show we simply don't have the time or man power to edit every image before they're uploaded, if that makes sense :)

:plus1: Sorry Natasha as I do not want to appear rude, but are you saying you would have sold images just like these? The horse in#2 is oof and a couple of the others could have been cropped much better imo.

I have to agree with these two guys....
Being a rider myself doesn't necessarily make me any good at taking equine photos.....
I'm not saying these are terrible though, just that I've seen better...

Yes I understand that and I'm not saying I don't appreciate the advice because I do :)
I'm just saying that I'm not used to editing photos and that's why I haven't done so this time.
The photos that we take at the show ground where I work go straight on to the system as is, obviously when people come into the printing studio photographs can be cropped and brightness, contrast etc edited if the customer wishes, but the company takes soooo many photographs per show we simply don't have the time or man power to edit every image before they're uploaded, if that makes sense :)

However the point is that the photos at DBEC are still edited to provide customers with a finished product before they are sold. Almost every event set up does this.

You're presenting us with a finished product, hence they need editing before display.

This isn't meant to be a negative comment. Just a hint that it's probably about time that you learnt some basic post processing to finish your pictures off properly! :)

I know how event photogrpahy works.. I have done enough in my time.. handing over cards of pics and they go up for sale as is... I understand that..

my point is.. this isnt an event.. its a forum of photogrpahers who wont care about how you work an event.... they will just look at the pics and critique...

thus my advice before posting pics on here is to do some basic editing... just straightening pics isnt too hard or time consuming :)

As with mark above.. please dont take my comments the wrong way.. they are given wiht the best of intentions even if they come across brusk :)

Last edited:
Back