RPS Distinctions - who has or wants one?

Have you been through the Panel judging process for an RPS distinction or do you plan to?

• Yes I've done this

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • No but I'm interested

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Yes and I'm interested in the next level

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • No, not my cup of tea

Votes: 30 57.7%

• Total voters
Hard to define, but a good picture for me is one that pleases me and it is just a bonus if it happens to do well in a competition.
A very sensible approach.

I agree that it is annoying to have to keep paying. I have found the distinctions route really useful in elevating my photography . There is no obsession with 10 stop filters. They also have the grant program, A research and development distinction as well as a new photo book genre (as opposed to a book); links to Falmouth university with a discount if an RPS member; for those who like them, there are reduced rates on courses and workshops. People have achieved distinctions using an iPhone. Is the RPS perfect? Well no but the two amateur photographers I know that are critical of it think photographing a series would be boring… perhaps they are a bit afraid of failure or have no idea where to start.

perhaps they are a bit afraid of failure or have no idea where to start.
...or perhaps their interests lie elsewhere? :tumbleweed:

It is only the RPS who judge a panel which is seen as a panel so they know it is all by the same individual. This is a challenge and it is about the overall appearance as well as demonstrating various photographic skills etc. In comparison the PAGB distinctions one has to submit a similar number 10 for C level, 15 for D and 20 for M. but they are not presented as a panel. They are intentionally mixed up and the judges score each image individually without knowing who they belong to. Only when the Chairman totals the scores to they know if an individual has passed or not. Other distinctions including FIAP, BPE and PSA are more about the number of acceptances and awards in international salons. There are many arguments about which distinction is best but no definitive answer. Generally it seems to be accepted by many that MPAGB is the top. I sat though an MPAGB adjudication (I was there for my CPAGB myself). The twenty who tried for their MPAGB all were FRPS but only one was successful. Only 2-3 are successful per year and there are less than 150 MPAGB's in total.

Dave

That's interesting @Dave Canon.

"What gets measured gets done" is one of those management maxims and one of the things I hear about RPS panels is that the assessors get quite hung up on the overall panel, it's lay out, the tonality, the positioning of images within the panel etc. and that can cause a panel to fail even if the photos themselves are good. It is one of the things that I have never really understood, no where that I know of outside of an RPS assessment and sometimes a gallery exhibition is work presented as a harmonious panel. Perhaps a magazine spread is the nearest thing but even there often cropping etc. is done to suit the layout, not to create a panel.

I have done both a PAGB distinction and RPS distinctions. They are very different and I think that it is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Another difference is that, unless it has changed, PAGB distinctions allow the use of images more than once so in theory at least, 20 images could be the total number whereas with the RPS, 45 would be required in 3 different sets. I think also that working in a series encourages longer projects so more of a slow burn than the big bang style. I wonder also how the 'M' people would fare producing a series with a statement v individual shots. Horses for courses.

Last edited:
I considered it a while back but ended up doing a Guild qualification earlier this year and got my 'Q' with them, which is I believe, the equivalent of an L with the RPS. I also got a Photographer's Bar with The Guild.

I have done both a PAGB distinction and RPS distinctions. They are very different and I think that it is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Another difference is that, unless it has changed, PAGB distinctions allow the use of images more than once so in theory at least, 20 images could be the total number whereas with the RPS, 45 would be required in 3 different sets. I think also that working in a series encourages longer projects so more of a slow burn than the big bang style. I wonder also how the 'M' people would fare producing a series with a statement v individual shots. Horses for courses.
In my Club we had three MPAGB's at one time and all had FRPS as well. I think you will find that most MPAGB's already have their FRPS. Whereas, you can use the same image at the different levels, it is not as helpful as it might seem. For an C level image to be of any use for D level, it would have to be exceptional. You certainly cannot just big bang PAGB. It took me 4 attempts over ten years before I succeeded in DPAGB and a fellow club member gave up after 4 attempts and he is a national level judge and has an MA and ARPS. However, I do agree that they are very different and require a different approach. I will not be attempting MPAGB myself as I know I do not reach such high levels.

I will watch Lindsay's progress with interest as I have not ruled out attempting ARPS sometime but put off by the lack of RPS events locally.

Dave

In my Club we had three MPAGB's at one time and all had FRPS as well. I think you will find that most MPAGB's already have their FRPS. Whereas, you can use the same image at the different levels, it is not as helpful as it might seem. For an C level image to be of any use for D level, it would have to be exceptional. You certainly cannot just big bang PAGB. It took me 4 attempts over ten years before I succeeded in DPAGB and a fellow club member gave up after 4 attempts and he is a national level judge and has an MA and ARPS. However, I do agree that they are very different and require a different approach. I will not be attempting MPAGB myself as I know I do not reach such high levels.

I will watch Lindsay's progress with interest as I have not ruled out attempting ARPS sometime but put off by the lack of RPS events locally.

Dave
Yes.. different, they are. If the salon catalogues are a guide, there also seems to be a certain style to them. Most RPS events at the moment are on line and so it is very easy to observe. It is no longer a requirement to do every level before attempting the next one. If you check the RPS what's on page, you might find some asseessments to watch at all 3 levels. There is no time limit between levels; I think this is a requirement of the PAGB but that may also have changed with the times too. You can also get one-to-one advice with an assessor at whatever point in the process suits you.

Last edited:
There used to be a guy at my camera club who would often suggest I go for some distinctions. I'd always say only half joking the only ones I want are the honorary ones; there's no homework plus it's the real sign you've made it to a significant level that they're chasing you...

Back