RSPB 2016 Calendar - March pic will be mine :)

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Got some good news this evening - I entered two photos in the RSPB 2016 Calendar competition and it has been confirmed that one of them will be going in the calendar :)

Heard it was in the final a week or so ago and have been checking my emails 100 times a day for any news.

I must admit that they chose what I thought was the weaker of the two images - but I am no expert :)

Anyway - over the moon :banana:

Here is the image

Backdraft!
by davepsemmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Congratulations Dave, I can see the appeal of the photo :)

Well done Dave a very nice photo.

On a side note, I bought the RSPB calendar for this year and was suprised the March image was of a Great Tit flying from a feeder, with a backdrop of a brick wall. I was a little suprised after the advice I have been given on here for the last few months for composition in my learning of bird photography. Unless it's part of their statement of "Giving Nature A Home" to include shots like this, with us helping nature by putting out feeders etc...............??

Only other reasons I can think of a Junior or disabled entries?

Well done :)

Well done Dave a very nice photo.
On a side note, I bought the RSPB calendar for this year and was suprised the March image was of a Great Tit flying from a feeder, with a backdrop of a brick wall. I was a little suprised after the advice I have been given on here for the last few months for composition in my learning of bird photography. Unless it's part of their statement of "Giving Nature A Home" to include shots like this, with us helping nature by putting out feeders etc...............??
Only other reasons I can think of a Junior or disabled entries?

Thanks Simon :)

I suppose the "giving nature a home" could be the reason behind it but I must admit that I look at some photos taken by people and do wonder why others think they are so fantastic and vice-versa. When I heard that one of the images was through to the final then I 100% thought it was the other image. As I have said many times before though - I am no expert :)

The other image I submitted is this one:
Little Egret in flight by davepsemmens, on Flickr

Same bird, same day, about 5 minutes before the other photo :)

Dave.

Last edited:
Both excellent photos Dave,

I can see how they have gone with the first, as it's different. How many do we see like that with the gust of wind behind them compared to an in-flight?....... Right time, right place springs to mind.

Excellent shot,i really like the first one.:):clap:

Both lovely captures, the BIF one is good one but the windy one has a certain magic to it and I can see why it might having been chosen for it's element of this unusual whereas BIF are by degrees more common. Edit - corrected smartphone "auto correct" re BIF ;)

Well done for getting chosen :) do they reward you for the win?

Last edited:
Well done for getting chosen :) do they reward you for the win?

There are prizes for the top 3 photos, but I haven't heard anything about that so assume I haven't won one of them.

I will get a few calendars and other items with my image and RSPB branding :)

I am just that happy to have got my photo in the calendar - never expected to get that far.

Photography is a passion - I wouldn't want to be up at 3am for work but happily up and getting ready to go out after some wildlife :D

Dave.

Super shot Dave, have i mentioned that i despise all wildlife trusts and the RSPB :facepalm:
Lovely exposure and detail (y)

Thanks Neil - been taking photos for a year now (almost to the day ) so happy to get my photo into anything ;)

The RSPB sites I have visited range from excellent to not very good (especially from a photography point of view) but they have made getting into wildlife photography much easier than it would have been.

Dave.

Congratulations Dave, its a cracking shot and worthy of a place in the calendar.

Congrats Dave - yes i think i'd be checking my e-mails that much as well...

Hmmm, can we guess what everyone will be getting for Christmas presents this year...:rolleyes:

Both are cracking images Dave,but for me the one they picked is so different it would me my choice too,massive grats mate,i'm really thrilled for you,well deserved!!
best

Stu

Thanks Chipper - I have spent quite a lot of money but you can get into birding cheaper :)

I use a Nikon D810 and 500mm F4. Sometimes I use a 1.4 TC as well. I also have a D7200 crop sensor as well.

The D810 is fantastic - I use if for wildlife, family portraits and landscapes - it does really well no matter what I throw at it.

Dave.

Hi.. Thanks...Well, I have a 5D3 and the big glass you mention and the converter... Need to get going with my Wimberley head as my shoulders mean I have to be using a tripod. Hopefully that won't always be the case. No crop sensor for me at the moment although I ponder a 7D2 as some of the guys on here rave about it for BIF and Sports. Bravo again for the image above...

The "Other" image is one of the best flight shots I have seen in a long time. From the Background, to the back light coming through the wings and to the wing position as shot, all make for a Top Draw image, Dave.

Congrats on making the Calender.

Well done. I do prefer the 2nd in-flight shot, but they are both stunning images. I wish I had the patience for bird photography.

Back