RSPB Marshside Southport

Edit My Images
Yes
Hoping to take a trip to this RSPB reserve next week.

Anybody on here who's been there can they share any tips or recommendations please?

Thanks

Hi

Best bet is to firstly head for the main hide (I think it's called the Sand Grouse Hide) which is near the cross roads of Marine Drive and Marshside Road anyone there should be able to tell you what's around plus the log book is located here, wardens are only present on certain days, but if they are around they will give out any info. The old sand works on the opposite side is worth an explore during migration time this place often holds quite a few birds which are on the move.

Is best there on a hide tide other wise most stuff will be out feeding on the mud flats wader wise that is, although you can walk out from the car park at the above location on to the beach to see what's around.

After that its a case of walking back along Marine Drive towards the pier to look through the various screen and ending up at Nells Hide.

Things can be quite far off so you will need a big lens or digy scope set up really to get shots of everything that is around, although birds can and do come quite close in.

All hides basically face South East so you will also need to time your visit right in terms of Sun direction.

It's a good reserve though I tend to wait till the Avocet arrive as from the main hide you get really close up views of these birds and can capture some great shots.

I always call in on the way to or from either Formby for a bit of Red Squirrel action or Martin Mere both are not too far away and can round off the day well.

Another pointer is apart from a portal loo at the Sand Grouse hide there are no facilities around the reserve.

Hope this helps

Tim.

Back