East Anglia RSPB Minsmere

User.82148

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
I am due to shortly visit Minsmere for the first time in 20 odd years. It has changed in that time, but which hides are the best for photography at this time of year?

You can walk round all the main hides in an hour or two. My niece was working there last year and gave me a tour..

Have a chat along the way with the local experts and you'll soon find out if there is something special about.

In the morning the East Hide will be good - you're close to the birds, low down, and the sun will be rising behind you. Later in the day it's likely to be less favourable with sun position. I think Island Mere will be good much of the time - the reeds outside might give bearded tit, but other than that you'll want a longer lens for shots over the water. Bittern hide....too high, and looking down onto the birds.

It's well worth a walk along the beach - early morning is very good for looking from the beach up to the stone curlew (best view, and heat haze is too severe later in the day). Also Dunwich Heath, walk around for Dartford Warbler.

Probably best to ask the reserve staff on arrival. My experience was that they were very knowledgable and keen to help, so they should be able to steer if any are around.

The best places I reckon will be Island Mere (on the posts in the water - but quite distant) and probably from Bittern hide (although you're more looking down on the area, they would be closer). From what I recall kingfishers don't nest at Minsmere (no suitable sites), so Minsmere kingfishers appear later in the year, being fledged birds chased off a territory by mum & dad, who are trying for another brood. So this is actually the most likely time, probably through end September.

Wish you a great trip - always envious of a trip to Minsmere! I recommend The King's Head in Yoxford for good bar meals. There's also a really nice walk almost opposite King's Farm, on the road that runs north/south between Mill Road and Dunwich Road. It was recommended to us by one of the Minsmere staff, and was great for nightingale and turtle dove, we also saw woodlark early in the morning there.

Back