Rucksack Advice Request

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
HI folks, I am just starting to get interested in landscape photography and looking for some advice on a good rucksack/backpack to carry my gear in. I have a Tamrac Expedition 8 but it's way too big for the kit I plan to carry these days - I'm getting old and suffering with back pain. I also have a Tamrac shoulder bag but that gets painful to carry after about 30 minutes :(

The kit I plan to carry is a Nikon D800 body, two lenses (24-120mm f/4 plus one other yet to be decided but likely something wider), spare camera batteries and memory cards, Benro tripod and head plus CP/ND filters and holder. Space for a lightweight raincoat, choccy bars, brinks bottle OS maps and notebook (paper type not electronic) would also be needed.

Ideally, I don't want to spend a fortune and will happily consider buying used but I thought I would see what you more experienced folks use, or recommend?

Thanks in advance :)

No reason that a big bag has to be filled! TBH, I'd stick with the Tamrac and play with the dividers to see what configuration is most comfortable with the kit you want to carry on the landscaping wanders.

No reason that a big bag has to be filled! TBH, I'd stick with the Tamrac and play with the dividers to see what configuration is most comfortable with the kit you want to carry on the landscaping wanders.

Also my advice.

A Lens wider than a 24-120

So that'll be a 16-35, a 14-24 or 18-35 or an exotic prime. None of these are particularly small and neither is a D800 with a 24-120. So you'll still need a decent size bag. Combined with filters, batteries and all the other items the OP mentions a bag the size of a Tamrac 8 isn't that far off the mark. It's amazing how much stuff "non camera related" gear takes up such as drinks, hats, jackets, food etc the OP wishes to take as well.

If it's just gear and filters and you are going a short distance and can carry the tripod in your hand something like a Lowepro Flipside 400 would do but not with all the clobber as well. No room for big jackets in these plus all that kit/filters etc.

Last edited:
I have several bags from over that years. Some soon to be cleared out!

I do like the Flipside 400 but it's just not too comfortable over longer harder distances.
I also have a 300 from many years ago......

I have a Manfrotto Off Road 30L which is really comfortable & can hold an A7 & 3 primes & filters, blower, cloths & I think I've squeezed my film camera in there before too in the dedicated padded section. In the top I've then carried some food, drink, small blanket, waterproofs/coat. Tripod has to be side mounted, but it's doable.

I have just bought an Osprey Kamber 42 simply for more room & access to gear is a little better for me. We're getting more into going out for day (or at least half day!) hikes so we carry more than just camera gear.

I'm not getting that old yet, but comfort is a must as I get a little back/shoulder trouble too.

----------------------------

EDIT - I'm also Bristolian! If you want to try anything for size/fit/comparison let me know ;)

Last edited:
I would give the Tamrac Expedition 8 a go with just the kit / coat food and drink , I had one of these and thought wow it big but once on I hardy noticed it with the waist and sholder straps used

Agree with the above.

I normally recommend getting a normal rucksack (because some of the dedicated camera rucksack as really expensive) and getting inserts for the camera; or rather the other way around - get the inserts and then a rucksack that will take them.

As you already have a sack then just keep it and adjust what you carry.

I have a 66 litre 'ordinary' rucksack which I use nearly all of the time. Empty is doesn't weigh much and sometimes it is probably a bit over the top as it can be about 2/3, or more, empty, but its not a problem, and having a bit of spare space can be useful.

Dave

Comfort first, second and third - so I'd buy a conventional rucksack from a store with a good choice and helpful staff. Try them with some weight in. Osprey is an excellent make but they don't suit all backs. Then go down the insert/ camera bag into the rucksack route. A tripod can sit with its feet in a wand pocket and tied in at the top. Easy to find one the right size for your needs, probably about 35 litres.

When I needed a rucksack for flights, I took my kit and put it in a [Thinktank] bag at the shop - they were hosting a Thinktank day. I still have it and it works really well. The previous one was way too big and was for going out and about. It became a storage bag until I needed the space.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments so far ... all very helpful. I'm quite accustomed to the Expedition 8 as I used to use it stuffed to the gunnels with camera gear for shooting events like Tuff Mudder, et al - there can be some long treks to some areas of those courses. The main problem I see with using it is its physical size (56 x 34 x 33cm) which gives plenty of space for all the gear but is rather cumbersome and unwelcome in shops and pubs, etc., when trying to turn around or find somewhere safe to put it. I will give it a try tomorrow though and see if maybe I'm overthinking the whole issue.

Otherwise, I rather like the idea of a normal backpack with inserts to suit the camera a kit provided I can find a way to attach the tripod. Keep the suggestions coming folks :)

I have several bags from over that years. Some soon to be cleared out!

I do like the Flipside 400 but it's just not too comfortable over longer harder distances.
I also have a 300 from many years ago......

I have a Manfrotto Off Road 30L which is really comfortable & can hold an A7 & 3 primes & filters, blower, cloths & I think I've squeezed my film camera in there before too in the dedicated padded section. In the top I've then carried some food, drink, small blanket, waterproofs/coat. Tripod has to be side mounted, but it's doable.

I have just bought an Osprey Kamber 42 simply for more room & access to gear is a little better for me. We're getting more into going out for day (or at least half day!) hikes so we carry more than just camera gear.

I'm not getting that old yet, but comfort is a must as I get a little back/shoulder trouble too.

----------------------------

EDIT - I'm also Bristolian! If you want to try anything for size/fit/comparison let me know ;)

Hi Lee, I might take you up on your offer, where abouts in Bristol are you?

Andy Mumford on his youtube channel recently used one of these which look interesting. A skiing bag that has full back panel opening. Hiking/skii bags are ususally much lighter than camera bags. Expensive though.

https://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/alpine/freerider-pro-30/

I use a Deuter hiking bag with a bottom sleeping bag opening to give qucker access. Had a lowepro whistler 350 but was just too heavy.

Have a look at the Lowepro flipside trek.
Space for camera gear, tripod, water, food/snacks and a jacket.
I use the 350 for my G80 with 100-400mm attached, and a 25mm, 35-100mm and a 12-60mm.
I climbed 2 munros in a day with it without any issues or discomfort.

Last edited:
Another vote for keeping your existing bag

I have a Tamrac Expedition 9X and it's a whopper of a bag but I did away with all the dividers and bought a small Neewer camera bag insert. Now I have room for clothing /food etc and my tripod fits nicely on the outside and doesn't sag etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191008_143708_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20191008_143708_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20191008_143715_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20191008_143715_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20191008_143721_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20191008_143721_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 24
I'm a fan of the flipside, but as someone said just take what you need in the bag you have.
Personally I'd take something longer too, I sometimes take a smaller area of a landscape (more a detail shot really) and a tele can be good for a pano. Trouble is I'm a take it in case sort of chap, I get told off by "her indoors" when she cant pick my bag up to move it. Funny thing her bags getting heavier week by week, I keep buying her stuff.... Well they fit my camera too... ;)

I've moved away from a dedicated camera bag. I've got an Osprey Quasar rucksack which is extremely comfortable and I've bought a Tenba BYOD 10 camera insert which fits perfectly in the main section. The bag itself can carry a tripod, bottles, laptop and charger plus anything else I want to as well, so makes it very flexible.

I've been trying to find the perfect camera bag, but I am convinced it doesn't exist...

I thought I had found the perfect one ,
But alas after 28 years we got divorced

My own system relates to walking considerable distances including rough terrain with the minimal gear of a ff body and 2 primes, in fact the same system I used for 35mm gear before digital was invented. Body and one or two lenses go in a pouch with shoulder strap. I used to have a long Billingham pouch that was designed for 35mm body and maybe an attached 70-200 zoom facing downwards, but instead of that I had a prime stashed down in the toe of the pouch, a padded divider over it, and body with another prime attached above.

An alternative is to have body + one lens in a pouch, and any other lenses in their own cases. I now use a Billingham Digital on a similar basis, but there are pouches from various makers eg the Think Tank Digital Holster range.

The second component is a fully-fledged hiking / climbing rucsac that also carries the normal items of clothing and sustenance. Such packs usually come with facilities for carrying walking poles and ice axes that can easily accommodate a tripod. There are often pockets to take the points of poles that are then held upright alongside the pack by its compression straps. These are the best bet, keeping the tripod closer to your body for stability, albeit on one side. Ice axe straps tend to be on the back of the pack and less suitable.

The principle is that the pouch can be carried over the shoulder (fast access!) outside the rucsac, and carried with you if you park the rucsac somewhere, or it can be stashed (slower access) inside the pack.

The tripod is of course out in the weather. A travel tripod will likely fit inside - a 30l pack should take a 500mm tripod internally. My normal pack size is 35l and I have one of these - https://www.macpac-europe.com/shop/pitch-fiord-blue.html - it might be no longer available but is pretty strong & weatherproof (no fiddly raincover needed). It is also very comfortable with a beefy padded hip belt.

Last edited:
Back