rucksack/backpack recommendation

Name
Daz
Edit My Images
No
So I've been searching for days for a backpack to replace my CompuRover which was refused on two occasions when flying. It is 26cm wide and wouldnt fit in a 20cm rack used by airlines
The flight cabin luggage sizes vary across carriers: http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2...rs-current-hand-luggage-allowance-by-airline/

Without wishing to get into a debate about airlines and who has/has not succeeded in getting their bag on, may I ask a specific question:

Is there a bag out there that I can carry camera gear (D300 & 18-200, SB800flash, 12-22, 35mm prime) and carry overnight pack/day pack, is close to 20cm width, upto 35cm length and 50-55cm high ? The 20cm width is critical, and then I'd like a bag with a bit of height and width.

I've looked at all the lowepro, crumpler, mafrotto, tamrac bags but the items close to 20cm width (or under) are tiny , and usually no more than 40cm high and 25cm length.

Ideas?

Last edited:
Have a look a Vanguard's range of backpacks. I've got a couple and they're reasonable quality and something like the Kinray Lite 48BK seems to suit your requirements on size and capacity.

Bob

great, that is a very helpful link Bob, much appreciated.
Would you happen to know whether I will get my equipment in the 48BK:

D300 with Nikkor 18-200
Tonika 12-22
Nikkor 35mm
SB 800 speedlight (ideally if I could get two in then great)

it is rather difficult to tell and I havent managed to find a video review in english

I'm using a LowePro MicroTrekker 200.. Officail dimensions come in at 28 x 21.5 x 35.5 cm

Canon 40D body with a Sigma 17-35 attached
Sigma 50-150
Helios 44m
External Flash

And still have room for an extra Body and either batteries/remote trigger or another prime lens..
I use the extra pockets for cards, leads and the front pocket for my tablet..

Straps are comfy with a chest strap and have tripod mount on the bottom..

Last edited:
Looked at all the lowepro's ben. The micro trekker doesnt have that bit of extra up top to put the lunch, drinks, books, mobile, jacket, jumper in.
Its a bit of a challenge as I need something with all these capabilities, but also get it onto EasyJet, RyanAir, Quantas, Thompson airlines - Never heard of Vanguard and the one Bob highlights looks interesting as it ticks all the boxes
Thank you for the tip anyway

I have just purchased the Kinray Lite 48bk for 79 quid delivered. It looks bang on as it is 30cm width x 20cm depth x 49cm height , and therefore guaranteed to get on most airlines, for now !!

Thanks Ben + Bob

Daz.

I flew Wizzair last summer and they have a fixed tubular frame that your bag must fit into without squishing it in. I bought this http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-pr...XN1cHBsaWVzL2dhZGdldC1iYWdzLWNhbWVyYS1jYXNlcw== and it fitted in just right. I don't know if it will fit all your gear but it works for me. Check the video out on the page also.
Thanks Brian, but as above I was looking for a decent top compartment daypack/rucksack , and so I went with the Vangaurd Kinray 48

Thanks Brian, but as above I was looking for a decent top compartment daypack/rucksack , and so I went with the Vangaurd Kinray 48

Glad you're sorted.
The way things are going with airlines we'll be wearing paper suits and baggage will be forwarded on a separate aircraft so double the cost! welcome to the 21st century, rant over;

I'm having similar problems with Ryanair. My Think Tank Airport Accelerator which is good for most airlines is too big for Ryanair but it's the only bag I have found to hold my 600mm. After searching all over the place I found this http://www.directluggage.co.uk/ It might be useful for anyone with the same problem. I like the way you just click on the airline required and all the bags/cases are displayed for that particular airlines requirements.

Back