Rude people while shooting :(

I didn't know he was Keith. What law?

I suspect he's referring to riding a Segway. They're not road legal, because they're not approved by the powers that be for registering for the road, but being a motor vehicle, nor are they legal to ride on pavements.

The only place they can be used is on private property, with permission of the landowner (which is likely the case in this instance).

Sorry. Went a bit O/T there. :D

I suspect he's referring to riding a Segway. They're not road legal, because they're not approved by the powers that be for registering for the road, but being a motor vehicle, nor are they legal to ride on pavements.

The only place they can be used is on private property, with permission of the landowner (which is likely the case in this instance).

Sorry. Went a bit O/T there. :D

Don't apologise - that's quite interesting. If that's the segway's status doesn't it make them more pointless than they already are?

I remember being in Chicago several years ago and the local police were using them to get about. I bet they caught lots of crooks - because they couldn't run away for laughing too much :D

Don't apologise - that's quite interesting. If that's the segway's status doesn't it make them more pointless than they already are?

Yep! Although I've seen a fair few riding around on the pavement. Perhaps, similar to our right to take photies in public, a lot of police aren't aware of the law. :shrug:

I remember being in Chicago several years ago and the local police were using them to get about. I bet they caught lots of crooks - because they couldn't run away for laughing too much :D

There is just no escaping the fact that they do look ridiculous. :D

You could try: "Yeah, great! Just what I needed. Right, I'm going to do a close-up of your zits now...these are going to worth a fortune! Fantastic; do that ugly look some more. These are going on the side of every bus between here and Brighton...it's for an Anusol ad. Shame you won't be paid...what? Of course I can! This is a public place, just as you said..."

The situation has never arisen, but one day... :D

Hey Ryan,

If they refuse to move my response is usually to tell them it's their own time they're wasting as I can photoshop them out very easily (even if I can't). They usually b****r off after a couple of minutes.

Having assisted Ryan once I can confirm he doesn't take a pram with him on shoots :D

Kitchen sink, yes! Pram, no!

What about seeing you in the dress rather than Jo?

That's just wrong. Have you not seen how hairy his legs are?

This is the best use I have seen for a segway.
7018092295_d9d47d6e79_m.jpg

See this for using Segways in public:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-14344459

Hey Ryan,

If they refuse to move my response is usually to tell them it's their own time they're wasting as I can photoshop them out very easily (even if I can't). They usually b****r off after a couple of minutes.

Having assisted Ryan once I can confirm he doesn't take a pram with him on shoots :D

Personally, I think he's in the huff as he missed the wheelie shot, that would've made my day :LOL:
very strange behaviour by Mr segway, especially as he's representing his busines :shrug:
I wonder if the people on the tour thought he was a bit of a tool after that, and word travels faster than his machines (y)

I had countless situations in Bangkok last week when I was photographing the touristy monuments and stuff. There's the usual lot who want to be photographed in front of the said monument, so I stay out of the way and let them do their thing. When they're done [eventually] do they get out of the way on seeing me standing there patiently with my camera in hand? Do they hell. They continue to hang around in shot doing nothing. By the time they've got out of the way, another group are moving in and doing the same thing. So many times I got so close to shouting "You've taken your pictures now get out of the ****ing way!" But I guess it would have been lost in translation. Sometimes I hate tourists :D

Mind you, I do have some fun with them sometimes. A nice Japanese [I think] girl came up to me offering me her camera and gesturing to take a picture of her group. I took the camera with a big smile, said thank you, put it in my pocket and walked off. They soon came running after me, giggling like only young Japanese girls can. Anyway, I took the first shot and as I always like to take two, I held up two fingers to indicate a second shot. Suddenly all six girls held up two fingers for that shot that all the Japanese seem to do. What it means I don't know, but most of them do it in photographs.

I was on Brighton beach a couple of weeks back wanting shots of the ruined pier as the sun went down. Some of the old uprights remain on the beach and I wanted them in the scene. Anyway, as I was shooting some bloke on a mobile phone walked into the centre of the frame, pulled his willy out and had a waz against one of the uprights. Nice. It's not that I specifically minded seeing his willy, I just find weeing in a public place totally gross. And he didn't even care that he was right in front of the camera spoiling my shot - rude so and so. He didn't pause from his phone conversation either.

After the day I had yesterday, nothing surprises me. There are some complete jumped up idiots who know nothing of the law.

I can say anymore as legal action may soon be invoked by me against an event organiser.

It creeps up on us all ;)

Christmas Eve......about 3 months ago!

Oh Blimey!! Hello mate. Have you changed your username?? I'm sure it was different to Darkroom....?

Hope you're keeping well and busy :)

I was on Brighton beach a couple of weeks back wanting shots of the ruined pier as the sun went down. Some of the old uprights remain on the beach and I wanted them in the scene. Anyway, as I was shooting some bloke on a mobile phone walked into the centre of the frame, pulled his willy out and had a waz against one of the uprights. Nice. It's not that I specifically minded seeing his willy, I just find weeing in a public place totally gross. And he didn't even care that he was right in front of the camera spoiling my shot - rude so and so. He didn't pause from his phone conversation either.

...you could have shouted "OI, I never brought my macro lens with me!":LOL:

Heather

I didn't know he was Keith. What law?

Correct

However this does not include land that can normally be accessed by the general public, such as a national trust park etc.

It would have to be totally private with no access to the general public as the norm

Last edited:
Think the inventor of the segway had the best idea....ride it off a cliff

That wasn't the inventor, that was the guy who bought the Segway company from him.

The inventor, Dean Kamen, is a bit of a hero of mine. He used the same gyroscope technology that's in a Segway in a 6-wheeled wheelchair that can climb stairs, going from the Paris Metro to the top of the Eiffel Tower to prove it. He also invented the first drug infusion pump, holds patents for portable dialysis machines and built the Slingshot water purification machine, which is powered by a Stirling engine so will run on practically anything.

Coolest bit for a geek like me is that he owns his own island and thanks to his friendship with Clinton, it's considered to be a sovereign state separate to the US and he's allowed to issue his own currency; there's one bank note and it has the value of pi. :geek:

45 of the most embaresing posts from crybaby photographers (seriously.. man up people) before i find out what a segway is... wasn't worth the read :)

there are many long replies in this thread and i'll be honest i haven't read them all, but what on earth was he teaching them? how to ride segways? :thinking:

From what I have seen you need to be a bit of a pratt to start with. Without exception every single person I have met who uses one are anal-retentive, big-heads. One guy kept riding his back and fro through the wedding group we were shooting, unbelievable!

I have nothing against Malta and its residents, but for credibility status, who can take 'em seriously when their police ride segways in Valetta and they buy our old bendy buses?

45 of the most embaresing posts from crybaby photographers (seriously.. man up people) before i find out what a segway is... wasn't worth the read :)

Wasn't there an episode of Top Gear where the 3 musketeers were pr*tting around on the things? Laugh a minute!

The23rdman said:
Bro, you just have to learn to laugh this kind of stuff off. Why let a **** ruin your day?

Hahaha, I like this post :}

Move on then. My point was more to do with the state of society than anything else. And if we turn a blind eye and ignore it we might as well condone it.

From what I have seen you need to be a bit of a pratt to start with. Without exception every single person I have met who uses one are anal-retentive, big-heads. One guy kept riding his back and fro through the wedding group we were shooting, unbelievable!
The BBC use them as camera platforms at events like big golf tournaments and they're very useful for people who have to walk long distances each day, such as those working in post office depots and large warehouses. I'm not arguing against your experience, just trying to point out that they have a valid place. Although Kamen's early talk of a product that was going to change urban transportation and all our lives forever might have been a bit OTT... :thinking:

Move on then. My point was more to do with the state of society than anything else. And if we turn a blind eye and ignore it we might as well condone it.
Yes, you had to deal with a couple of clowns but you set up a studio in a public park and were shooting an attractive model; are you that surprised that you attracted some attention?

Some people's ignorance and arrogance is disgusting. Unfortunately, when you talk and try to reason with people who just don't get it or don't have any intellectual ability or intelligence then you're in a no-win situation. If your stuck with some imbecile who has only just evolved from pond life and is intent on trying to wind you up. When reason and politeness fail (which I try to be at all times),then the only option open is a hard stare and a good old fashioned vocal ' **** off!' Sadly, this the only language some idiots understand.

Seriously though, don't let people wind you up it's not healthy. Stress reduces the blood flow and ones ability to think rationally :cool:

Last edited:
Yes, you had to deal with a couple of clowns but you set up a studio in a public park and were shooting an attractive model; are you that surprised that you attracted some attention?

No, not surprised that we drew attention. I noticed several people stopped for a few seconds to see what we were up to. And in hindsight I wish I'd done the shoot on a weekday.

BUT there's stopping for a few seconds to watch and then there is blatantly making an effort to cause an obstruction out of nothing more than petty mindedness, malice and ignorance.

The BBC use them as camera platforms at events like big golf tournaments and they're very useful for people who have to walk long distances each day, such as those working in post office depots and large warehouses. I'm not arguing against your experience, just trying to point out that they have a valid place. Although Kamen's early talk of a product that was going to change urban transportation and all our lives forever might have been a bit OTT... :thinking:

No doubt there is a serious use for them, but sadly all the people I have met are just poseing idiots.

Segways - I'm not a fan of them and not convinced they are even safe.

I'm sure the owner died last year after loosing control and crashing and then falling 30ft into the River Wharfe in West Yorkshire which was a tragedy.

Also, I recall the police were looking for an 'alledged' sex attacker who riding one last year. Linky here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-15294729

I'm sure they will go the same way as the Sinclair C5 did a few years ago. :thumbsdown:

No, not surprised that we drew attention. I noticed several people stopped for a few seconds to see what we were up to. And in hindsight I wish I'd done the shoot on a weekday.

BUT there's stopping for a few seconds to watch and then there is blatantly making an effort to cause an obstruction out of nothing more than petty mindedness, malice and ignorance.

I don't think the majority of people are petty minded, full of malice and ignorant. Thoughtless often maybe. Its very easy to see things from the viewpoint you understand, they may or may not of realised they were getting in the way, exactly as you may not of realised you were upsetting them somehow. For all we know on 'talksegway' there is now three people complaining in equally strong terms about ignorant photographers.

The point simply is, that we don't know if it was from lack of understanding or something else they behaved as they did, and they may be seeing your behaviour in a similar light.

Also, I recall the police were looking for an 'alledged' sex attacker who riding one last year. Linky here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-15294729
Not really sure of the relevance of that link, it's akin to criticising lorries because the Yorkshire Ripper drove one. Besides, if you read the story you linked to...

BBC said:
Police believe the person on the two-wheeled transporter may have seen something crucial to the inquiry as they rode across Parker's Piece at 06:15 BST on Tuesday.
There's a much clearer headline on the Cambridge News piece linked to from the BBC story - Segway rider may have witnessed Cambridge sex attack. So the Police are looking for a witness on a Segway, not the attacker.

I'm sure they will go the same way as the Sinclair C5 did a few years ago. :thumbsdown:
I don't think so. Looking at the popularity of Segway tours abroad and the various industrial uses they can be put to, plus the US military for wounded soldiers to use [source], I think they'll remain a niche product but will stick around, though not in the UK due to the legalities mentioned earlier.

Oh Blimey!! Hello mate. Have you changed your username?? I'm sure it was different to Darkroom....?

Hope you're keeping well and busy :)

Nope it's still the same - I'll blame the loss of memory to the McDonald's :puke:

I'm actually spending a lot of time up your way these days so if you need a hand again give me a shout.

Nope it's still the same - I'll blame the loss of memory to the McDonald's :puke:

I'm actually spending a lot of time up your way these days so if you need a hand again give me a shout.

Cool. Well next time you're up let me know and I'll meet you for a coffee :)

And if you ever want a hand I'm always up for seeing how others do it :)

Not really sure of the relevance of that link, it's akin to criticising lorries because the Yorkshire Ripper drove one. Besides, if you read the story you linked to...

I just failed to read it properly, read it way to fast. No more, no less sometimes we look but we don't see..... As for your analogy, theres a big difference between single and plural. It's not even in context and a ridiculous suggestion.

As for your analogy, theres a big difference between single and plural. It's not even in context and a ridiculous suggestion.
It has as much context and is as ridiculous as your bringing that example into a discussion about Segways. That was the point of it. :shrug:

I was thinking of buying a Segway. Anyone fancy coming and taking some photos of me riding? around on it.

It has as much context and is as ridiculous as your bringing that example into a discussion about Segways. That was the point of it. :shrug:

I misread the article (it's easy to do when you are doing two things at once). I thought we were talking about one individual on a Segway who was a suspect, Had I read it properly. I would have realised we are talking about a witness.

I got it wrong but I certainly didn't suggest, nor imply that every Segway user was one, that's just pure conjecture on your part and a wrong assumption.

I don't want to see another thread descend into a bun fight so i'm leaving it there.

I got it wrong but I certainly didn't suggest, nor imply that every Segway user was one, that's just pure conjecture on your part and a wrong assumption.
You brought the example into the discussion as part of your "Segways are bad" argument, thereby making the implication. I'm baffled as to why you did that and linked to a source without reading it unless you were simply trying to find anything, no matter how tenuous, that would reinforce your preconceptions about the technology.

I don't want to see another thread descend into a bun fight so i'm leaving it there.
Ah, the old, "I've said my piece, there is nothing more to add, la, la, la, not listening" argument. An old favourite but it's only one step away from, "I'm not playing any more, so there".

LOL....I think your right hence i'm keeping stum from now on :LOL:
And there it is. :)

Shame, I was beginning to enjoy that. Oh well, as you're no longer playing, I'll accept your gracious concession that I was right all along and assume my rightful place as forum defender of the noble Segway. :nuts:

To hell with sending pictures of them to the boss

Should have captured the "encounter" on video (get their face or a logo at least and the conversation) and sent the video onwards - just make sure you are polite and super nice to them even if it is sarcasm- no excuse for them to fire comebacks at you.

I've seen this method work!

A good kick in the cods usually gets the message across.......I am NOT polite, and patience is my strong point.

KEEP OUT OF MY *****ING WAY! Is one of my usual phrases....my nose is still intact too! I particularly like a bit of sport with yellow jackets and clipboards...they are great fun. I am going to get done for assault or threatening behaviour one day.

Back