Rugby World cup '23

When was that?

The number of points for a try increased to 4 in 1971 and then 5 in 1992.
Penalties have been 3 points since 1891 when it was increased from 2.
That's my memory from way back when I used to watch and play. Played both codes at school as games teacher was from Lancs and League man and I enjoyed playing both. Been watching league since meeting my wife who's from St Helens, and much prefer it now.

Don't cheat, don't get penalised. Both teams would have been very much aware of how penalties work before the kick off. Kicking is part of the game and won (and lost) many games.
I take your general point that teams should try harder to avoid penalties but they are not all related to cheating as such. For example, when England gave away penalties for 4 scrums in succession to SA it was because the England prop was not strong enough to resist his opposite number. I think scrums can be like an arm wrestle. Many of the illegal tackles are just a quick reactions to stop the opponent rather than an intention to act illegally.

Dave

Scrums have really just become a test of strength.
Nowadays the SH puts the ball straight into the second row.

I take your general point that teams should try harder to avoid penalties but they are not all related to cheating as such. For example, when England gave away penalties for 4 scrums in succession to SA it was because the England prop was not strong enough to resist his opposite number. I think scrums can be like an arm wrestle. Many of the illegal tackles are just a quick reactions to stop the opponent rather than an intention to act illegally.

Dave
I take your point, but fielding a TH prop that isn't good enough isn't the fault of the opposition and if the scrum collapses or the prop pops up or ends up burrowing in diagonally he's going to end up penalised.

I agree ,winning by kicking ,no try by the Boks . However it was an exciting game . Better news for me is that Edie Jones is going whence I know not however .RA better find another coach soon. It doesn't seem right that coaches come from all over ,no representing their country of origin ,still I guess that the way it is in all sports now. Interesting to see where Jones goes . If it is Japan ,it will show what a rat he is .

Back