Ruined farmhouse

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
This is Blawerie House on Bewick Moor in Northumberland. It was a farmhouse until 1940 when it was taken over by the army for training purposes then fell into disrepair and was abandoned. A popular spot for hikers and toggers.

Really like this shot. I imagine it would also look great in mono.

Thanks, I'm glad the hike resulted in one decent shot!

I'm going to try a B&W conversion at the weekend.

Yep, i agree, I'm loving that! hmmm under the window though, is that a stone, or an old plastic bag? Maybe try cloning it out?

I keep coming back and looking at this again. Love it.

I like it a lot but it seems to much of nothing, IYKWIM on the left, to me a crop to the wall would be good, then there would be a very nice lead in from the left front corner, not the best edit but a quick thought and a reshoot from a slightly different angle, you could get much more detail as (I think its your processing) ,as I said looks a bit soft although from my edit you do lose the remoteness of the place a little but a bit more thought, trial and error, you could achieve that as well, youll have a fab image, worthy of framing for on your wall, another thought to shoot it in winter it would also look fab with snow ,mist I dont know theres endless possibilities from this, sunrise/sunset, I could spend months on this, fab location and well done for finding and sharing it (y) BTW where is it, also can you see the 2nd stone on the wall you could turn it so it points to the building parallel with the wall, (y) dont be affraid of moving things about, you can always put them back as was

Last edited:
No Dave. Its OK but I think you have constrained the feeling of emptiness and distance, and everything looks squashed into the frame.

it has lost the remoteness, and as you say Toby squashed it, looking at it this morning, but what I meant was, maybe a different angle to remove some of the left side, I think theres a lot of mileage in this subject and many different images to be had from it (y)

Last edited:
Thanks for the C&C. I was trying to get in the expanse of the moor with the belt of purple heather and the Cheviot hills on the horizon. This was the best (IMO) of many shots, including panoramics. The panos didn't really work (see below) as there is little foreground interest. I should have hauled a boulder or dead tree into position!

If you want to visit the spot it's on Bewick Moor, SE of Wooler in Northumberland. You park at the hamlet and farm of Old Bewick (you can park on the grass verge outside the barns). Then you take the path past the cottages heading NE, uphill. The path is muddy in wet weather (and often in dry), through several gates and probably a flock of sheep. To the right is a steeper escarpment with a belt of tall trees, just past that is an ancient hill-fort, which I mean to check out. Keep heading up the path for about a mile. You will see a cairn and then over the crest of the hill a small wooded area and the ruins of the house. You might not have it to yourself if the weather is good, but if you do then it's a lovely, lonely spot. I'm taking a cottage up near Bamburgh in February so I'm hoping for a dusting of snow. These photos are facing south-ish so both dawn and dusk would be good.

Back