Running, long exposures - help?

Name
Phaedra
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't know if this is the right section. but i'm trying to get some long exposures of my friend on his morning run. so blurring/ etc.

and i can't for the life of me get it right! tried it early morning, produced the best result but they were really blown out (no ND filter, brought one now.) and early evening (you can't see him at all pretty much)

help? what am i doing wrong?

I think what you are trying to do is hold the camera still and let his motion be a blur in the image, right? What is better is to speed the shutter up a bit and pan with the runner as they go past you. You'll end up with the background blurred giving the sense of speed and motion but the subject/runner will be in nice focus. If the shutter speed was a little slower you should be able to capture foot motion quite well too. Set the camera to shutter priority 1st to test out the autoamted aperature settings and make sure your ISO is set to 200 if it's blowing out too easily.

I've been deleting the images out of my frustration for not getting it right, but i'll see next time.

i've already doing some panning, and it wasn't really what i wanted for this. thanks anyway.

Do share some images and let us know how you get on and what you want to achieve. My husband is also a runner, and I'd like to achieve the same sort of effect, so I'm very interested in what you're doing.

Cathy

Back